1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Subwoofer and Amp on a Stock Stereo?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by MWright936, Sep 8, 2008.

1. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have a sub and an amp from my previous truck. I was originally going to wait until after I upgraded my head unit and speakers to see how it would fit in my "new" truck. Well, I've realized it will be a long time before I will be able to get that new head unit and speakers since they are low on my priority list of upgrades, and I'm currently saving every extra penny I can to build up my savings for other non-vehicle related priorities. I discovered today that my box with an 8" Punch Stage 2 and my Sony amp will fit perfectly under my rear seat. Nothing big, but it sounds good.

My question is: can I hook this up to my stock stereo? It has a CD/tape head unit with no Onstar.

If this is possible, what do I need to hook everything up? Would I need special adapters or harnesses? I'm definitely a beginner as far as all of this stuff goes, so describe things as simplistically as possible! Thanks!
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I'd suggest going with a line level converter. It converts the high-z lines coming from the radio to the speakers into low-z rca lines that run to the amp. So, I'd say an amp wiring kit and the line level converter will do the job. For the amp remote turn-on line, you'll need a hot on ignition line, and one should be easy to find in the fusebox under the dash.
  3. mehoff400

mehoff400 New Member 100 Posts

what he said i got that on my 04 sounds good just would be nice to be able to control my sub turn my bass up or down but for now it defiantly works
  4. MWright936

Thanks for tips Christopher! Any advice on where to get one of those converters? I found one on Crutchfield, but it had mixed reviews. Although, everyone did say it worked and it's only $20.
  5. 06badZ71

06badZ71 New Member

ya i agree with the other guys..go with the hi-low converter...im using it in my truck as well...works perfectly!..all i did was splice it into the positive/negative wires to my rear speaker..and you can still tweak with the bass level a lil threw the headunit on the bass settings...you cant mess with the headunites in the new GM vehicles too easily recently i believe from 2001+.because from what i heard all the data from the ECU in the vehicle goes threw the headunit... so if you disconnect it alot of stuff in ur vehicle will not work..(lights,gauges,controls etc.) so you would have to spend a good penny for about 5-6 harnesses....so ya deff. go with the hi-low converter and if your amp is capable get yourself a bass control and mount it somewhere close to you so u can have your bass levels set at ur desired level at any time..other than all that all u need is a power cable from ur battery..and nice ground..and a remote cable to your interior fuse box make sure you put it to one that will only turn your amp on when vehicle is running...GOOD LUCK WITH UR TRUCK! hope the info helps..:great:
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  6. identityPRS

identityPRS New Member 100 Posts

you can get the line out converters at best buy for about $25. you can also get them at circuit city, or any other place that does the installs on site...
  7. MWright936

Thanks for all the tips guys! I've definitely learned alot. Although, I've decided to wait. A new amp wiring kit and a line level converter would only be about $50, but I decided I also need a new battery before I put that load on it. My current battery runs the truck just fine, but I noticed when I have my headlights on and roll down two windows at once, my lights dim. Seems like it doesn't have a whole lot of power. It's still not that much money (about an extra $100 for a good battery), but as I said above, I'm trying to save!

Even though I'm not doing that upgrade now, my research I've done the past couple days has given me great insight into what I really want when I upgrade my system. I have my eye on a Kenwood head unit, Alpine S-Series component system for the front, and Alpine S-Series 2-ways for the rear. My truck has stock tweeters in the front, which is why I'm going for the component set up. It's all on my wish list....and yes, I actually made a wish list. All I need is about $2000 and I'll have everything I want :glasses: Anybody have an extra 2 grand lying around they don't want?? :lol:
  8. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

go on line and find one from monster wire. worth the extra bucks!
  9. dakotadrive

dakotadrive New Member

If you want a good convertor a good one to look into is a brand name called audiolink. they are little pricey but they're not built cheap like some of the better known brand names.