1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Subwoofer: Facing Down or Up?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by The Heater, Mar 20, 2012.

1. The Heater

The Heater Member

Hello, all:

Has anyone had experience with both up and down facing subwoofer installation in an extended cab truck? Or just one of those positions?

I have to decide if I will mount one or two sub woofers facing up or down. I have a current sealed box facing forward. Sounds great. 8 inch sub. But I want a larger unit, so it has to go up or down. The interior is all out of the rig, so now is the time to design something for a larger sub woofer or two.

Any personal experience on these options as far as sound, vibration, etc. would be appreciated. :tuxout:

Thanks,

Mike
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Faceing down you might have a deeper sound almost like a Bandpass. So your 8 could sound like a 10. It's a smaller space for the air to move and fill up..
  3. lquattro04

lquattro04 Member

The closer a wall, floor, seat, etc. are to the face of the subwoofer, the louder it will be. This is due to the fact that the sound waves bounce off of the wall, or whatever it may be, and go throughout the cab in more than one direction. Right now I have a 12" Kicker L7 facing up in my crew cab, and unfortunately I was unaware of this fact before I had the custom box made. I had the sub previously in an S-10 extended cab facing towards the front right behind the drivers seat. From what I recall, the S-10 was nearly twice as loud as it is now. Now mind you the cab was smaller, but the sub would pound right behind my seat compared to my sub now which just goes towards open space.

Hope this helps!
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Definitely down.
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

x3 on facing down.
  6. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

In the 99-2007 trucks, up firing boxes will allow you to fit bigger subs (deeper), down firing has always seemed to sound better to me.
  7. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

down fire for sure!
  8. Cheez

Cheez Member

I've had both up and down in my 2004 extended cab. I prefer the down firing much more than the up firing. The only rattle problems I've had with the down fire is the spare tire tools. Rearranged them a bit and that problem went away. If you want to go bigger, a 12" downfire is about all you'll fit. 10" is a nicer fit but my 12" still hides itself under the seat nicely.
  9. The Heater

The Heater Member

Since you have to have a lip on the side where the woofer is mounted to allow for cone excursion, when pointing it down are you leaving one or two sides with no lip to allow air to move?
  10. Cheez

Cheez Member

When I built my box I left both sides open. It's pushed up against the back cab so it may as well just have only one side open.