1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Subwoofers not working like they should

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Kickerking817, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Kickerking817

Kickerking817 New Member

Ok guys I'm almost to the breaking point with my subwoofers and or amp. Subwoofers have been working fine for little over a year , and amp has been working fine for almost 6 months on this set up. However the amp is a older kicker amp. So my set up has been 3 kicker DVC L5's on a 1200.1 kicker amp as I said it was all working great together for about 6 months when all of a sudden one day I turn it up a little, sounds decent at low volume then when I turned it up it was like the door speakers were the ones trying to push out all the bass, and door speakers started to distort. The door speakers are not hooked up to any amp at all. I checked the amp and noticed the fan on the amp was not working at all, the amp also does not go into protect just not very loud. Like I said I have run out of ideas so any help would be GREAT!! Thanks
  2. jbjones240

jbjones240 New Member

You might what to check and see what frequencys you are sending to the subs. The amp should have an adjustment as well as the headunit. It sounds like your headunit is trying to send to many of the lower frequencys through your mids instead of the subs. Hope this helps

-JJ
  3. Kickerking817

Kickerking817 New Member

Thanks for the response, I will try it this weekend, what frequency do you think I should set the amp on? What frequency should I set on the headunit? Don't know if this has anything to do with what's going on but my RCA wire was giving me some problems because they are very old(4 or 5years old) and cheap. Would getting better RCA's fix this?
  4. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts

Actually if I remember right I was having that problem too one time and had to get new RCA wires. Actually I was impatient and made my own but that will cause you major problems. But I also agree about the frequency. Your frequency should really be turned almost all the way down or towards the lowest frequency since you just have subs hooked up to your amp. If none of this works I would try a new amp.
  5. Kickerking817

Kickerking817 New Member

Anyone else have any other ideas?
  6. TexasEdition

TexasEdition New Member

7. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich New Member

I would have to say some setting on the amp got changed.
  8. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts

You should be able to turn the subs off through your head unit - then you can play your other speakers to see how they sound. If they still distort maybe they are blown or they have to much of the "lows" adjusted to them?

Are these the stock door speakers running off the head unit?

If they worked before and all of the sudden you have problems - something changed - either adjustments made via the head unit, something else installed around the time the stopped working correctly or equiptment failure.
  9. Kickerking817

Kickerking817 New Member

The door speakers are kicker door speakers, I will try and mess with the settings later and see what happens. Thanks
  10. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

You can always get bass blockers too for the door speakers, if your amp fan doesnt want to run then I would say something fried on the amp.