1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Subwoofers

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by A1CMason, Apr 23, 2009.

1. A1CMason

A1CMason New Member

I just wanted to make sure before i do it... Is it possible to hook amps and subs up to my stock 05 silverado? Or will i have to have an aftermarket?
  2. mburn039

mburn039 New Member

I have a subwoofer with a built in amp that you can hook up to your stock silverado that I'm trying to sell. email me privately if your interested. mburn039@kutztown.edu
  3. 22inSilverado

22inSilverado New Member

yes you need a hi low converter they call them to use the factory radio
  4. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

If you really want more oomph, then start saving and get a new head unit then speaker and sub and mono amp. It really is the best way to go generally speaking, mixing factory and aftermarket will not give you the greatest result if you are looking for better bass and clearity
  5. mehoff400

mehoff400 New Member

i got subs on my 04 with the stock head unit and i love how it sounds
  6. A1CMason

A1CMason New Member

Well i have the stock Bose system with the 6 cd changer..
  7. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

Its always your choice, I am just really into my music and am always willing to pay the money to have crystal clear sounds.
  8. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul New Member

yes, this is correct.

However, for the bang for your buck you are better off with getting a new head unit, for all the problems you are going to run into later when you WILL want to get a little more outta what you want, you will have to pay to get the rca cables, run again later. Unless you are doing this all yourself. Either way, I Would get the head unit for what its worth.
  9. StillMatic

StillMatic New Member

Them adapters work, but they will distort the sound quality!
  10. SoundZman

SoundZman New Member

I'm sorry but mixing stock with aftermarket is NOT a problem and does not necessarily give you poor audio. Poor audio mostly comes from poor install (usually gains set incorrectly or ground looping) and/or 3rd rate electronics.

I as well have a BOSE 6 disc factory indash unit and powering up an Orion 600w amp and a 12" sub that sounds very clean. Some amps have built in high/low converter but your probably better off picking up a LOC (line output converter) these devices tap into speaker level signals and convert them to RCA (line level) signals that most amp accept. This generally gives you a cleaner signal as compared to high level inputs.

I have a friend with a Mustang Cobra that has the factory head unit pushing all JL Audio componets (sub, amps and speakers) very clean sounding system.

I have more often then not seen ugly installs using aftermarket headunits that just didn't match the dash of the vehicle due to the use of cheep/ugly trim pieces. On the flip side of the coin, by buying aftermarket headunits you can make installation go much easier by way of builtin preamp outputs and builtin RTO triggers. For example, I used to have a Sony headunit that had builtin Sub Woofer preamp outputs, this was very nice feature as it also gave me an extra tuning option within the unit controls.

It's totally your choice on what to do, all I'm trying to say is just because you have a factory headunit doesn't mean you going to get poor sound quality. Of course you can pay for better a better sound processing headunit but thiers a chance you might not notice the difference.