Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Suggestions for a 2012 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by HFD525, Nov 28, 2012.

1. HFD525

HFD525 Member

Needing some suggestions for some mods to do to my 2012 1500. I am currently about to add; towing mirrors, cab lights, exhaust, tool box, and leveling kit. I already have a rockford fosgate sound system, brushguard, front bug guard, rain guards, blacked out bowties, and led dome lights.
  2. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

How much do you need those side steps? Also you could look into aftermarket headlights and tai lights
  3. HFD525

HFD525 Member

I am actually going to be ditching the factory side steps soon. I found some headlights that looked factory but where black, I can't remember who made them either. Been looking for them but have not had any luck finding them
  4. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

google search spec d black euro headlights for 07+ silverado I just picked up the ones you are talking bout and love them
  5. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I like my Tailgate shock ( even though I need it replaced under warranty as it
    comes down too fast ) Brian
  6. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Unless you are towing some really long wide trailers, towing mirrors are not needed and don't look very good.

Cab lights are for 1 ton dually trucks, they look dumb on a 1/2 ton(looks like the person driving it has 1 ton envy).

I am all for exhaust, are you going catback dual, muffle replacement?

A tool box is ok, I would just get one that does not go over the bed rails.

Unless you are going to hard core off road that truck(by getting a leveling kit I assume you're not) a brush guard is not needed and really detracts from the nice looks of the Silverado front end.
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

As always, mods are what you would like on your truck, not what others think about them. That being said, I like the brush guard. I have seen many trucks with cab lights and they look perfectly fine. If that is what you want then go for it. Be careful buying aftermarket lights, I have seen some that look awesome but, throw a terrible light pattern. Most the time you get what you pay for. [MENTION=50580]Fonze[/MENTION] did an sweet looking halo kit on his silverado, he did it with the stock lights and it looks nice. (my opinion) As far as suggestions, How about a cold air intake and a Custom tune? (after you do exhaust of course) Custom tunes don't cost what they used to and can be very beneficial as far as hp and sometimes mpg. You no longer have to find a shop to do them. Some guys do them thru email (we have a vendor on the site that does it at a fair price). Have you considered a soft cover for the bed? maybe a hard cover? If you are considering that at some point then you may want to make sure you have an under the rail tool box. I suggest that when you buy things keep in mind future mods that may be affected by what you are putting on now. It sucks buying the same thing twice! Again, these are just my opinions do what you want, you have a goal in mind of how you want your truck to look at the end.
  8. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Interesting...for off-roaders they come in handy since we need a large field of view when reversing. There are many times when you have to reverse for long distances due to many off-road trails only being one vehicle wide and someone (usually the person going downhill) has to back up until there is room for the vehicles to get around each other. Additionally, the lower portion of the mirror works great for rear tire placement, thus creating two viewing angles which is extremely helpful.

In any case HFD, if you like them, install them. Many people like they way they look regardless of function (I being one of them, and it just so happens I get the best of both worlds; function and looks :glasses:).

And for additional mods, may want to consider a tonneau cover.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  9. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

While I can agree with you that better viewing is nice to have, the OP probably won't be doing a whole lot of off-roading with that truck.

The OP appears to have an LTZ Silverado judging by the body color grill and bumper and body colored skull caps on the mirrors. The LTZ comes standard with retractable mirrors, I am not sure if putting on aftermarket camper style towing mirrors will have the retractable feature as well.
  10. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Looking at the OP's Silverado 4WD, Pictured above, its the LT Trim, and by having the 18in" Alloy Rims, it has the Z71 Off-Road Package........and with All the Color Matching, it has the Z71 Appearance Package.