1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

suggestions for a good high flow cat

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Z71_usmc_rebel, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Z71_usmc_rebel

Z71_usmc_rebel New Member 100 Posts

what high flow cats are out there that are worth buying? also will a high flow mess with sensor readings? i have the 5.3L..
  2. omegafiler

omegafiler New Member 100 Posts

The stock cats already flow quite well for your average truck. Unless you've got some serious mods, like a Turbo, the stock cat works great. Otherwise Magnaflow/Carsound have some of the more popular aftermarket free flowing cats.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Like Omegafiler posted, the stock cats flow quite well.
    Back in the early days factory cats were notorious for clogging and flow issues, over the years these problems have been resolved and if you were to compare High Flow cats against factory cats on a flow test bench you'd find there isnt much of a difference. Many big horse power engines are still running the factory cats.
    Put your money in a cat back system or some other performance improvement like headers.
  4. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

high flow cats are not really worth it like tim said. put the money somewhere else and you'll get more power anyway
  5. Z71_usmc_rebel

yeah i was thinkin of starting at the headers..but im not sure where i want to start just yet in the performance section..any recommendation on headers?
  6. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

i have flowtech on my truck cuz they were relatively cheap. headers are headers and the power difference between them is not going to be much between a $300 set vs a $500 set. just get them ceramic coated. i had mine for 4 months before they started to rust and the are not ceramic coated.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You need to do a little research on headers before choosing a set. Ceramic coating is a must for long life, but depending on the type performance your wanting you'll need to decide between long tube, short tube or intermediate, they all produce power in different RPM ranges. I probably wouldnt break the bank for a set of headers you should be able to buy a decent set in the $300-$500 range.
    Pace Setter, and Jardan seem to be at the top of the $$ range while Hedman and Hooker are nearer the bottom.
  8. Z71_usmc_rebel

awesome thanks for the help guys that will def. help me with a decision
  9. no0b123

no0b123 New Member 100 Posts

I say new headers and a cat back exhaust (mandrel bent piping in a larger diameter than stock).