Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

suggestions for speaker upgrade without breaking the bank

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by redchev4x4, Oct 16, 2013.

1. redchev4x4

redchev4x4 Member

i am running a clarion 50 watt per channel reciever and the speakers a trashed out. i replaced the front door
    speakers with a set of inexpensive wolfhausen or something like that,, any way they sounded just ok. but now they
    are starting to suck too.... what would a good choice of reliable speakes be? in the 75 to 125 range .. i am not a head banger
    but i like good balanced sound ,,i listen to everything from bluegrass to classical to classic rock.

thanks
    terry m

2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

50 watts of what specific measurement used. you can have 50watts peak to peak. this would be low power ...50 watts RMS would be a powerful amp which would require more expensive speakers.

also never use paper cones in the doors. also use a plastic shield to protect from water.

mount the speakers so that you do not distort the frame of the speaker.....

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

In English.. Your radio is giving about 18 Watts RMS Any good speaker would want about 30-50 Watts RMS to sound 1/2 good 50-75 to sound Great.. So a speaker that says 75-125 in the back Thats the INPUT power NOT the Output.. Are you going to amp them? If not a Speaker that will have Somewhat good sound at low Watts would be a Focal Acces Maybe a Alpine Type S Or for a little better Midbass (NOT BIG BASS))) The JL Audio TR's..Stay FAR AWAY from Pioneer,Sony, Lower Rockford and Kenwood and other Cheap speakers from Best Buy..

4. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I am a polk audio kinda a guy myself for door mounts, and you can get them in marine grade for the door, db651s the s for shallow mount for door application, 65 watts, 165 peak, a small amp like you want will give you clear clean crisp sound. 100 bucks a pair and they will impress you, go listen to a set.

5. redchev4x4

redchev4x4 Member

first off ,, i may have not been clear when i said 75 to 125 ,, i meant dollars not watts,,,
    all i know about my reciever is it claims 50 watts per channel,,,, i am not running a amp
    with the radio... 50 watts is plenty for my listening. i am just loking for a decent upgrade
    from what i have now. the back door speakers are still the stock ones.

thanks
    terry m

6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

There are planty out there Just remember any good speaker will sound 100% better with more power..

7. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member 100 Posts

Don't you loose the base sound though?

8. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the clarion 50 watt means 19 watts per channel RMS. this is close to what the OEM radio will put out. you will need speakers that can handle 25 watts RMS to be able to handle this power with out failing.

If you turn up the sound too high you can create a condition the causes the speaker coil to over heat. then with this the speaker coil being partially shorted reduces sound quality. higher power speakers have coils that can handle higher power ...

9. Geister

Geister Rockstar

Personally I like Kicker speakers, they're good output for the price and they usually run around 60-65 each so they wouldn't kill your wallet.

10. redchev4x4

redchev4x4 Member

i have decided to go with the kicker CS-65 speakers for the front doors,,,, good reviews and should handle anything i put to them for my use,,, next will be the rear door speakers,.

terry m