1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Suggestions on a little body work

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by Curky, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Ok in the beginning of last spring is the first pic, right now is second pic. The plan is to go .5in above loose paint and sand down then put a coat of self rhino line on ( rolled on) anyone do this? Any suggestions?
    uploadfromtaptalk1392926884769.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392926900948.jpg
    My mission is to keep for 6 more years, w/o haveing a rust bucket. . and save up money for a 2500 crewcab full bed, white 6.0 mabey diesel . And putting money into that not this. Just as much as I have to. Only 59,053 miles on my V6 4.3. Or do you think I need to put in some cash now. I think I can stop it but not for sure doing myself...??? Anyone???
  2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Actually [MENTION=53221]Curky[/MENTION] I was going to do the same thing to my white 96 3/4 ton. I actually bought some white bed liner stuff to do it with but the weather hasnt allowed me to get it done.. I would sand it down to bare metal so all the rust is gone.. use some spot puddy and just fill it in and sand it smooth. Then tape it off and roll it on..Im actually thinking of coming up to the body line on my truck which is almost 9+ inches.. Have to do something with my bed rails also. Hope this stuff stops the rusting for a few years... 0220141709a.jpg 0220141708.jpg 0220141709.jpg
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If you want to keep it 6 more years youll need to invest some now to make sure it lasts.
    Untended corrosion can spread suprisingly fast.
    I think you have a good low investment plan thatll achieve what you need to.
    Look into chemical conversion coatings, once rust is there even if you dont see it, theres always something left behind that increases the growth rate the second time around.
    Also think about a good primer before applying the liner.
  4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yeah forgot that step.. Good point!!
  5. ippielb

ippielb New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Look into PlastiDip.
  6. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Thanks but need something little more durable.