1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Summer Engine Mods

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by ippielb, Mar 15, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. ippielb

ippielb New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

So, this summer, i'm bumping up from bolt on engine parts, to internal engine parts, and performance mods. I'm looking at doing a cam shaft, and roller rockers, springs, lifters, and some bolt on parts, long tube headers, gear my differentials to 4.10 or 4.56, and a custom tune'd computer, for all the modifications. I just have a few questions, i do a bit of highway driving, i do around 60km or more of highway when i go somewhere with my truck. So i can't have that crazy of a cam to make my truck rev at 3000rpm going 100(60mph) down the highway, i still need room to gear my dif, neither i, or my old man can remember what measurements are which for cams, basically what i'm looking for is to get the most bang for the buck, and then get roller rockers and springs and lifters to match the cam to get the best performance out of everything. What would you recommend for a cam?
  2. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member 100 Posts

You dont always have to get new rockers or springs with a cam. Id get a cam that makes good low-end and midrange power that isnt too agressive. Dont get a top end cam because you dont run it wide open all the time and it would be a waste to gear your truck down for more low end only to get a top end cam. Look at companys like Edelbrock and Compcams for great cams.
  3. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Look at a CAM spec'd for towing.

It is just a little above stock, allowing for easy highway cruising, but will give more grunt at low end.

You can keep the stock Head lifters and such, if cost is a factor.

However, if you are doing a CAM, it would be a good time to upgrade the cylinder heads. Port 'em and they will breathe much better.
  4. ippielb

I was looking at compcams, because a local shop can get them for pretty cheap. Does anyone know the stock cam specs? Valve Lift for intake and exhaust, and the duration for both? Still trying to find the right one for me, I was wanting low end, to get power to spin those tires. And springs to match. Maybe not the lifters as much, but definitely springs.
  5. ippielb

I will be doing all the do dads before i put her back together that is for sure. Rocker arms and push rods are easy to change so i will put them off until funds allow.
  6. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member 100 Posts

Let us know how it runs when your done.
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would call CompCams at 1-800-999-0853 and have them recommend a cam. Also if your truck has alot of miles on it you may want to change the roller lifters. To change the lifters on these engines you have to remove the heads.
  8. ippielb

Yeah, i've seen roller done once or twice, my truck has 210,000km, or 130,487 miles. I would love to to get the rollers changed out. And might as well change out the valves while i'm at it, and got it all apart, instead of having to do all that labor. I'll call comp cams when i get the chance.

Thanks