1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Summit Headers

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by KyleZ71, Jun 11, 2010.

1. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Just bought a pair of black Summit shorty headers. They were on sale for $179. Anyone want to give their two cents on the situation. Going to paint them with Rustolium 's engine enamel so they don't rust.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I think the engine enamel is rated for 500 degrees? I don't think it will last.

3. KyleZ71

My bad, yeah just saw it.Ill hit up my local speed shop for some header paint. Either black or silver.

4. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If they have a black primer coat, read the instructions on it, if it's not a high temperature paint, you will need to get EVERY SPECK of paint off of it, i recommend sand blasting, because it will take off everything, i did a write up on how to paint headers, check the How To section.

5. KyleZ71

The paint was not high temp so I'm painting them silver with Eastwood high temp paint. I often heard Summit racing products are just name brand with that they got cheaper and that goes for these headers. They were Pacesetter headers just called Summit racing headers on their website. Got to say I was impressed when I got ground shipping and they came the next day. Going to paint them tomorrow and will write up how they are, look, and if I had any problems.

6. Farmerdave

Farmerdave Rockstar 100 Posts

Go to a John Deere dealer and buy some of their flat black muffler paint I have done many sets of headers and exhaust parts from snowmobiles to muscle cars and that stuff works GREAT.

7. KyleZ71

Never would've thought of that. The Eastwood paint is already on it's way here but if I ever need any paint again, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the advise though.

8. Farmerdave

Farmerdave Rockstar 100 Posts

Your welcome!

9. 01chevrolet

01chevrolet New Member

I was actually thinking about buying these, what do you have for a pipe to go with them? Let me know how they turn out.

10. KyleZ71

Getting them installed today. I'll post on if there is any improvement at all. (yes I could've done it myself but old ones are very rusty and would rather not snap a bolt.)