1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Super Chargers and Turbo's - the norm and the excessive what is hype and what is real

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by PantheraUncia, Aug 19, 2012.

1. darnie1987

darnie1987 Rockstar 100 Posts

alot depends on your budget and goals. lets say you have a ext cab 6.0 4x4 your bout wrapped out to mid 11 second 1/4 miles unless u use nitrous. or you can do a turbo kit and use water meth and run 10's theres always another way but just gotta know what u want ;)
  2. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

The idea that you need more air to keep the engine cool when you add fuel, is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with cooling. More fuel means you need more oxygen to be able to burn all the fuel. It has everything to do with AFR and combustion, and nothing to do with cooling. However, different fuel types can affect how hot the combustion chamber gets. And adding fuel (running rich) will result in a cooler running engine, as a complete burn will not be achieved. And running lean (adding more air) will run hotter. Adding air because you added more fuel is the wrong way to go about it. You add the air (turbo) first, then you adjust the tune to add more fuel if necessary, depending on boost amount. Running only a few PSI on a stock tune in a new vehicle should be fine though, as it will generally be able to compensate. For large amounts of boost, you'll certainly need to tune, and change your fuel to premium, or E85, to compensate from the increased DCR.
  3. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Your right but I would suggested adding any forced induction with a stock tune on the car. I'm also the kinda person who retuned for pulley upgrades on my cobras. But then again having the proper tune makes me feel safe when I'm doing hot laps. Along with better radiator and inter cooler and a killer chiller
  4. darnie1987

darnie1987 Rockstar 100 Posts

no not more air = cooler u must of miss took the statement. but the fact that your running rich messes things up, thus needing more air. on the other hand its pointless to argue with you, like stated before i know what seems to work at the track but ill let ya ramble on.

5. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Maybe if you used proper grammar and spelling, rather than just a rambling stream of letters, it would be easier to not mistake what you say then. I quoted your post which contains exactly what you stated, which was that as you add more fuel you need to air to keep the motor cooler. Also, you say you know what seems to work at the track, but haven't said anything about it. Going fast in a 6000lb truck in 1/4 mile is simple math. More weight means you need more power. Forced induction is obviously one way to make more power. There are a lot of ways to make power. If you think you have some magical combination for going down the 1/4 mile in a certain amount of time, then great. But don't go rambling on and making incoherent statements with false information, and then acting like you didn't do so, and attempt to insult the person who called you on it.

And of course, none of that has anything to do with the original post, as this thread veers further and further off topic, making suggestions of what to use, rather than answering the very general questions about the differences between superchargers and turbochargers, and why some people or certain types of builds, use certain configurations of them.
  6. giorge

giorge Rockstar 100 Posts

I run a 671 blower on my 68 Camaro, I run 11lbs of boost and can run 15 easily just by flipping my pulleys, I also run a 50/50 fuel half gas and half alcohol. The reason for the alcohol is it helps with cooling and gives you more power, the more boost the more heat you get. The main problem with more boost is blown head gaskets and broken pistons (been there done that) I have been building blowers since 1983, come of off Detroit diesel engines and my current one is on a 327 with 800 hp. The biggest was a 455 Pontiac with a 1271 and 1500hp and runs straight alcohol and it is in a boat.

If you are going to run over 15 lbs of boost you should have your block and heads o-ringed, it is a lot safer for higher boosts. Good pistons are a must, I run Keith Black pistons and have a custom made set of Tick Flow aluminum heads. I don't have mine o-ringed yet, but they will be.

As far as turbos go they are great when set up right, but I don't like the lag and the extra heat. But turbos can have particals pass through them that would destroy a blower.