Supercharge or not?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by KyleZ71, Jan 26, 2014.

1. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Hey everyone!

Bored on a snowy day in NEPA with a clean truck so I was day dreaming on the internet about the possibilities to get more power out of my truck. My truck is at 150K right now and over the summer I was planning on a possible head/cam swap, new lifters, and a set of long tubes. If a supercharger were to come into the picture in the next year or two what would I need to replace before hand? I know supercharging a high mileage engine is iffy but I plan on keeping this truck for a long time (knock on wood). I would do a compression test before hand just to know what i'm looking at.

- - - Updated - - -

While doing the camshaft i'll replace the push rods

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The mileage wouldn't worry me actually, the internals are very reliable as long as they're taken care of. Be careful of which cam you pick, check with someone about specs. Go to aggressive and it won't like it, I would recommend no more then 0.600 of lift unless your going to do rockers or an upgrade.

I would do upgraded drive shafts, different gearing, transmission freshen up.

3. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Thanks for the reply, I had the transmission rebuilt over the summer and if it couldn't handle it I would get the monster in a box kit. But I'll look into the rear gears and drive shafts

The camshaft I was looking at is Trick Flow Track Max with .575 lift