GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Supercharged or Turbo?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Black wolf, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Black wolf

Black wolf New Member

I have recently bought a 91 Silverado 1500 and its a awsome truck[​IMG] After only a few weeks Im looking into buying some performance upgrades. My problem is deciding wheter to put a supercharger in it or a turbo kit [​IMG] Which is better on gas mileage?
  2. collinsperformance

collinsperformance New Member

both can be great add on. the blower runs off the motor and the turbo of something you are tossing away. i say add the turbo or go all out and add a twin turbo kit. ......and add pictures of the upgrade.....mike
  3. HankTheTank

HankTheTank New Member

i've always heard that superchargers hurt ur gas mileage some so i would have to recommend the turbo... and if that's the road you take lemme know what you get, i maybe interested in adding one to my 90' burb lol
  4. zippy

zippy New Member

It's simple, they both eat gas:
    More boost = more power = more fuel burned = less MPG.
    Less boost = less power = less fuel burned = more MPG. ​

An exhaust driven turbo can vary boost by controlling the waste gate/s. You can keep the gate/s open until the TPS gives a serious signal to haulass. Put your foot in it and away you go. A supercharger is always on, I guess you could add a waste gate, but you'll still have the parasitic drain of the compressor on the belt drive. In that respect a turbo would give better MPG

I've always thought, variable boost on a small engine would give better MPG than DOD on a big one. I suspect DOD is way is cheaper to produce, that's why GM went that way. A variable boost twin turbo 283 could be an interesting set up for the economy minded with an occasional lead foot. Does the new supercharged ZR1 'Vette have variable boost -- and, if it does, how do they do it?
  5. FireRed

FireRed New Member

Which way to go needs some thought, Turbos and Prochargers are great for top end but provide very little gruntbelow 3000 where most of the work is done. If you can keep your foot out of the pump the fuel mileage does not suffer much. Me I would be thinking Whipple, it fits under the hood is a ton easier to install and provides great punch.
  6. Black wolf

Black wolf New Member

replys

Hey thanks guys. Ive got a buddy who put a turbo in his car and it cut his gas mileage in HALF for 35 to16:rofl: also he said it gets really hot I think Ill try a smaller supercharger. His puts out 30 pboost. heres my truck and my dads

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      91.9 KB
      Views:
    • 190.jpg
      190.jpg
      File size:
      96.4 KB
      Views:
  7. crane3447

crane3447 New Member

Thanks for posting this question. I have been thinking about the same thing for my '04. The fuel thing is not really my issue. I use mine sometimes to tow stuff. I'm wondering if I'll still be able to tow.

To much power?

Wheel spin anyone?
  8. Black wolf

Black wolf New Member

Yeah i only care cause its costing me a 100 a pop and i dont use 87 91 buddy eventually it be a drag racer for our local track:great:[​IMG] Ill probably put twin superchargers on then.
  9. collinsperformance

collinsperformance New Member

eather will still allow you to tow fine just watch the skinny pedal....most trucks (simi---or work) have turbos....mike
  10. scooterpie555

scooterpie555 New Member

For towing, I'd go with the supercharger! I've had both! and the super charger has a lot of low end immediate power, or always there, push the pedal away you go. Turbo, you can have a lot more power, but with towing, you have to wait for the turbo to spool for the power. So if your towing something heavy, i.e. and 24ft boat that weighs almost 9K lbs. when pulling out of the water up a steep ramp, you want the supercharger. Take it from experience~~! Turbo is nice but also in traffic, stop and go, supercharger has the power there for you for the taking. Highway miles, turbo is nice, as it has the high end power. Just my $.02.
  11. madramper

madramper New Member

Both make power. It depends on what you want. The supercharger is more predictable where as a certain rpm will give you a certain about of boost - at least for the most part. Turbos work off of load. The more load on the motor, the sooner it will spool. Turbos are torque monsters. They will give you way more torque down low than a supercharger will. The key is to get the correct size. A big turbo will give you plenty of power, but it will take a while to spool. A small turbo will spool quickly, but run out of steam. For a 350, a decent all around turbo is a T70. Master Power makes them and they are fairly cheap - $500-$600. The T70 is good to 800hp I believe. I had a PT76 for my Lightning with a 351. That is a bit more extreme and is good to 1000hp.

Another thing to remember is the install. I don't know if anyone makes a kit for the chevy trucks. They don't for the Fords. To do it right and building it myself, I will have $3500 or so in the turbo kit. If you can't fabricate, you can almost double that to have someone else do it. I have seen Vortech supercharger kits for the chevy trucks. Vortech makes a great product. The S or SQ trim is an awesome street blower.
  12. Black wolf

Black wolf New Member

Yeah im not worried about instalation because in taking a class to learn how to put it in myself. Itll save on instalation cost that just adds on to that hefty price. Also i found out that superchargers run alot cooler because they arent ruunning off that hot exhast gas. It can get hot enough to melt stuff on long hauls.:shocked: