supercharger for towing???

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Bikeman, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Bikeman

Bikeman Member

In hopes that you guys in the know may have some advice...

I am towing a 8000# camper and am new to it, on our first trip the fuel milage was ...ehh...bad. Around 6 mpg. That kind of fuel cost is going to really hurt my plans of touring the states. I was wondering would a supercharger give better fuel milage when towing? Engine seems to working hard and I was figuring more power correlate to less throttle.

Other option would be to upgrade to a diesel which i don't want since it would have to be an Excursion to fit my oversized family.

Anyway, my current vehicle is a 01 burb2500 w/6.0l

Thoughts

2. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

don't really think a super charger is going to make enough difference for it to be noticable on the mileage, not in any amount at all any way. might get up to 10 mpg with a super charger pulling all that weight but then you aren't going to get a whole lot better probably with a diesel either. if you chose to go that route however the duramax diesel's are much better than the GM backed diesel's of the past and they put them in the 4 dr 2500 series trucks as well as the super duty's too now. unless you need the 3rd row and all and even then you might check into the kodiac trucks too that's diesel and would give you better mileage and power.

just a few randoms to help things along a little but i really don't think a supercharger is the answer for this one. not for a long term solution any how specially not with that weight you are pulling

3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

A supercharger won't help. You need lots of power-which means fuel-to haul that load.
    I'm guessing your loaded Suburban must weigh(4-6 people) close to 8000 lbs?The trailer is another 8000 lbs.
    16000 lbs-6 mpg with a spark motor sounds about right-especially if you are in hilly areas.

Excursion diesels get just 15 mpg hy with no load-with your load they might get 8 mpg-not enough better to make up for owning it.
    The Turbo won't help-not with the same gearing. If you could somehow add 5 psi boost and drop your HIGHWAY RPMs by 30% that might improve your mpg, but it would strain the motor more than it was worth.

I would look into some sort of aerodynamic add on for the rear of the Suburban to the front of the trailer.

One a level highway over 50% of your hp goes to pushing air out of the way-at say 55 mph. If you can make it cleaner, you can pick up 1-2 mpg.

Look at those big rigs with that front spoiler thing on the roof-that is what it is for-better mpg.

I would hunt for some sort of add n spoiler, or try a DIY spoiler.You could make it with fiber glass or even plywood.

Stick with what you have and work with it.
    Luck,
    Charlie

4. Bikeman

Bikeman Member

yeah, I think you guys are right. Though i think 10mpgs would be great thats 40% increase but unlikely the s-charger would do it if any. I have 4 kids and I think a pick up would be to tight going 3 and 3.

I'll run it how it is for now and weigh me options in a year or 2.

gcvw is around 14500#s so no mileage is going to be good. I have a long trip up coming, NC to Cape cod about 1600 miles round trip, I will get a great idea of what traveling cost will be versus no camper and hotel rooms. I think I may still come out ahead and camping is more fun.

thanks

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've done a lot of towing with different trucks, mostly fifth wheel flat deck trailers, the 6.0 doesnt get good mileage loaded or unloaded. It's got great power for towing though.

A friend has a Yukon the same year as yours that we've tore apart and modified a lot over the last couple years in search of better mileage.
    The biggest mpg increase was achieved new rear gearing. But at a loss of take-off power.
    A turbo gave a small mpg increase and more HP.
    A Supercharger gave a nice wide band HP increase but mpg stayed the same.

If your gonna keep this truck I'd say look at exhaust mods, intake mods, better trans cooling (a new aux trans cooler to use with the factory one), a gear change for the rear axle, an oil cooler, underdrive pulleys, remove any unneeded weight or wind catchers (bug guards, roof racks, front push guards) and synthetic fluids in the engine, trans, and rear axle.

Normally aspirated and with the above mods my friends Yukon is getting 11mpg on the highway towing 7700lbs of truck/trailer and assorted gear. Last summer with 12000lbs we got a best mpg of 12.5 going to Colorado from Texas.

6. zubbiez

zubbiez Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Supercharger wont help

I have a Whipple supercharger, while I can tell you that if you get one youll be able to keep up with traffic a little better, I dont think it'll help you out with your MPG, that being said a huge disadvantage to the supercharger is fuel cost it has to run premium fuel, even if you get a couple more miles per gallon your still paying more for it at the pump, also dont forget the intial cost of said supercharger Im sure theres cheaper ones but a whipple will set you back 4500 to 5000 dollars not including labor. here is there web page www.whipplesuperchargers.com Im sure if you call there customer service they can give you a better Idea about your mileage.

7. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

no if you are wanting gas mileage and wanting to tow all that weight still you'll probably need to change the gear in the rear end. that's the only thing i know of right now that would help you in your current state. I don't have specs or suggestions about gear ratio's because though i have helped rebuild one now I don't know how they are measured or rated.

8. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

if you want better mpg's

get a custom tune
    intake
    exhaust

i think a supercharger is going to worsen your mpg.............and needs rich fuel

9. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i agree with 2tone. a tune and, intake, exhaust system, and other small things will help. i pulled my boat with my truck and a friends stock silverado ('05) to the lake, which is a good distance away, and i had more gas left in the tank in the end than he did when we towed it with his truck. my truck also pulled the boat alot easier.