1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

supercharger help!

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by RyGuyGMC, Jul 22, 2010.

1. RyGuyGMC

RyGuyGMC New Member

i have a 2003 gmc sierra 1500 5.3L, i have put on a k&n cold air intake kit, and dual flowmaster exhaust, i have the cat's cut out also. but im always looking for more power and more fun. i was looking into installing a supercharger, iv been searching google but theres not a lot out there that i can find or that really makes sense. im not mechanic but i know my way around a vehichle pretty well. So i was wondering if anyone had any prefrences on superchargers, and if i installed one would i be obligated to change any other parts of the motor, or things i should be aware of? any help at all would be greatly apretiated thanks guys.:great:
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

Magnacharger is a great set up. Everything comes in a kit. How many miles on your truck? If it has high miles you may not want to do it. Depends alot on how the engine was cared for a driven.
  3. Metaluzc

Metaluzc New Member

You're looking at close to $5,000 to install the supercharger. You can probably find a supercharger for $3,500 but it's the other parts that will jack up the price. You have to remember that when you push out more power, the transmission needs to be bolstered up or replaced to handle the extra stress.
  4. RyGuyGMC

RyGuyGMC New Member

its got 136000 km or about 84 500 miles
  5. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 New Member 1000 Posts

The bottom end of the motor needs to be built with a supercharger in mind.

Then the heads will be dependant on the type of SC and what final comression ratio is desired.

Typically, the motor will be around 8.5:1 so that the SC can be setup for 8-12 lbs of boost.

For the money, building a stout small block will be more simple, reliable, and cheaper.

Built me a 434 Stroker for my 76 Impala. 400sbc bored over and stroked, makes around 500hp.

Can't think of any reason to put a supercharger on a truck motor, unless your 4x4 is for sand hill climbing or your 2 wheeler is for drag racing.

Cheers...
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

I don't think I would put a supercharger on a motor with close to 85,000 miles. I would do as mentioned, bore and stroke it.
  7. JennaBear

JennaBear New Member

We are happy with our Magnachargers, our Silverado has 80K miles on it, with a TVS2300 on there, no issues.
  8. kburb

kburb New Member

buy a kit for your engine/truck and keep the boost low and you should be ok, i put a TRD (magna) supercharger on my tacoma and LOVED it, the power band was never ending and the torque was amazing!!