1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

supercharger or turbo ?????

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by bowler635, Nov 25, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. bowler635

bowler635 New Member

i dont know what to do...supercharger or turbo....i know that with supercharger there is no lag it is indstant power compared to turbo you have lag...i just want to know what one will give me the most power, which on maybe a little easier on the pocket book, and most reliable...anything helps
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

from what I have understood there isnt much difference other than how it get the airflow and exhaust. even alot of supercharger kits look just like turbos.

this seems to show some good info
    http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=19

On older cars I like the supercharger with the carbs sticking out the hood, butterfly scoop etc. a supercharger in my truck would only be a dream:lol:

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Supercharger starts providing power near idle, turbo starts a little higher in the power band.
    They both need fuel system upgrades, they both would rather burn premium fuel and can start pinging if not running premium. Turbo's usually get a little better fuel mileage.
    If you tow a lot the Supercharger would work better for you since in reality you would want the hp throughout the RPM range to help with the extra load.
    If you just like driving fast the Turbo would work better in the high RPM range.
    If you like your money you wont like either one as they lead to necessary upgrades $$, higher fuel cost, and more broken parts.

4. Padre

Padre Rockstar

What he said! :great:

5. suburban2500

suburban2500 Member

absolutely reccommend a supercharger no one turbos a v8 gas motor the supercharger is easier to install and will last longer ad perform better for truck driving it will give u low end torque and make you truck fly turbos are for civic not big v8s

6. FordAssasin

FordAssasin Member

HOLY S**T!!! I just went to that HP calculato and with 8PSI and a 2-core intercooler with 92 octane my gain will be from 255HP(stock) to 401HP (with supercharger,intercooler,updated fuel system,and 92 octane).WOWWWEEEEE I hope that calculator is right man wouldnt know what to do with all that HP!! An after reading that articale on supercharger vs. turbocharger im goin with the supercharger!!! Cant wait man i love this club you guys are the greatest sniff...sniffff....:sign0011::sign0011::sign0011::sign0011::sign0011::sign0011::sign0011::sign0011::sign0011::sign0011::great::great::great::great::great:

7. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

Yeah man, supercharger is by far the cheapest and the way most people go. The largest complaint is belt slip or breaking them but when done properly they are just as fast or faster. Not to toot my own horn but my truck on 22's and pump gas was beating some twin turbo rides.

Your biggest decision now is if you want a roots style or centrifugal blower.

8. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I think you will ceate a 410 hp grenade. That motor wasn't designed to handle nearly 80% more output. Neither is the tranny, suspension, brakes, tie rods etc... Try to find someone else who did that and see if his motor lasted a while before the inevetable rebuild. Just a thought man I used to race cars (non pro) and these were common issues that came up.

9. Dewey1384

Dewey1384 New Member

I like the turbo myself, it can be basically a "sleeper" - by the time yo can hear it, it's too late. If you want cheap, go with nitrous. It's considered a chemical blower.

10. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

Anything can be a sleeper. Nitrous runs out and needs prep time to use it. Both turbo and supercharger will always be on tap. Forced Induction for the win :great: