1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Supercharger or turbo?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Austin.K.294, Mar 30, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Austin.K.294

Austin.K.294 New Member

what would be the best preformance for my truck? i have a 2000 silverado 1500. i have heard good things about about both but i need to know what has better prefprmance. please help.:neutral:

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

*preformance
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

In a daily driven truck that is used as a truck and even for commuting you will want to go with a supercharger. You have to much weight to move around to waste time waiting for the turbo to build up boost, and you will simply want to step on the gas. a supercharger has 6PSI of boost all the time compared to a turbo which has to "spool" to get you the needed boost to add the power.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yep, go with a supercharger for everyday use. I like Magnachargers. I see your truck is a 2000. If it has alot of miles I wouldn't throw a supercharger on it.
  4. Austin.K.294

Austin.K.294 New Member

thats what my dad said he has a super charger on his f250 v10
  5. 00chevy53

00chevy53 New Member 100 Posts

what are you trying to acomplish with adding boost... are you looking to run quarter mile/stop light to stop light, hit the highway an mess with camaros and vettes, or just simply power to the wheels then what ever comes next?
  6. clgoch187

clgoch187 New Member 100 Posts

super charger= practical reliable but pricey. turbo=quick and easy, cheaper up front but doesnt hold up over time
  7. Chad513

Chad513 New Member 100 Posts

Turbo all the way. Wait for it to spool up, then gone.

Another good thing with turbo is that you can change your boost level. With a supercharger, you have to change the puley and belt to change boost. Turbo running low boost will get you better gas mileage and then turn the baby up and take off.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  8. kburb

kburb New Member 100 Posts

I've had a SC and loved it, the noise and whine when your at full boost is a wonderfull thing. The torque is stupid and hits the moment you hit the gas and your MPG will never be the same cause if your like me keeping your foot out it is hard. its gonna be a hard call to make cause both will work and give you HP that you can feel and hear but think like a manufacture, do they install more turbos or superchargers.
  9. Chris Miller

Chris Miller New Member 100 Posts

Gas engine - Supercharger
    Diesel engine - Turbocharger