1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Superchip says not original vehical????

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Outlaw19, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Outlaw19

Outlaw19 Member

I tried plugging in my friends superchip programmer today to put a performance code into my 2000 Chevy Silverado. He has the exact truck and the chip works in his. Why is it saying not original vehicle?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That is because the programmer is locked to his vehicle. It has downloaded a copy of his stock program and stored it in the programmer along with his VIN. You can not use the programmer on another truck unless you return his to stock to "unlock" the programmer. This is done so you can not program a ton of trucks with the same programmer. Sometimes you can call the company and they will unlock the programmer for a certain price. Usually around $50 less than buying a new programmer. BUT, if you do this then your friend will loose his stock program. I know that most performance companies recommend returning the vehicle program to stock if you ever need any diagnosis work done. If you don't, some of the perimeters may not look correct to the mechanic on the scan tool, causing unnecessary parts to be replaced.
  3. Outlaw19

Outlaw19 Member

Perfect. Thanks for the information. I figured that the previous owner put performance codes in it already but that makes better sense.