superchips cortex programer

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by heavy chevy, Feb 21, 2009.

1. heavy chevy

heavy chevy New Member

I have been told that I can custom tune my programer to make more power than the superchips settings do. Is this true or is the superchips setting the best setting. If I am able to custom tune these settings could someone give me a custom tune paramiters settings. Shift points and shift pressures. I would appreciatie everything. Also im in east texas and i was wondering if any one knew anyone that would do a custome tune.
  2. BillBoost37

BillBoost37 New Member

I have HP Tuners and know there's tons of tuning availble. Never heard of Cortex though. Got a link?
  3. black jack

black jack New Member

cortex is new from super chips. if you wait super chips is going to come out with a newer cortex that you can program several vehicals instead of just one kinda like hp tuners. which in my personally is the best way to go.
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member

I have never had a Superchips tuner before, so this probably won't help you at all but here goes nothing. On a lot of the aftermarket programmers they are pre-installed with "SAFE" parameters of tuning, some may have a program running with 87 octane or even 92 octane for more performance. These are general programs for easy install, but if you choose you can adjust most of the parameters yourself for more performance. I don't know if I would take somebody's setting advice and put it on your truck, mainly because everybody drives differently. For example my truck is set to run on Premium fuel, with my shift points adjusted to a 5.13 gear and 35" tires. So if I wouldn't have told you that and you wouldn't have asked me, then those settings would be totally messed up for your truck. To me it is a game of trial and error, you will miss the first couple of times but eventually you will find settings that suit your driving habits. Good luck with that..........AMY:fighting0034:
  5. heavy chevy

heavy chevy New Member

Thanks Amy I really apreciate what you said. My truck has never ran anything less than 93 octain. I guess for now i will stick with the superchips tune that is installed.
  6. heavy chevy

heavy chevy New Member

The cortex that I have is the new one that will tune all gm vehicles.
  7. goodie

goodie New Member

I vote we mail it around so everybody on the forum can tune their trucks :party:

It will be the forum programmer.
  8. heavy chevy

heavy chevy New Member

superchips fixed that. You have to take it off of one vehicle to put it on the other. You know if you wana drive the Z28 for the weekend you can put it on that. Then on monday you can put it back on the truck.
  9. goodie

goodie New Member

Ah that sucks...so how do you like it? Anything you don't like about it?
  10. Marcus

Marcus New Member

I was leaning towards a superchip or a hypertech but after reading and doing some research im just going to order a new computer tuned with EFI Live from Jesse and wait4me performance that way I can have one built to the way i want it. Great customer service as well.
  11. bzboardco

bzboardco New Member

How much does that cost?
  12. heavy chevy

heavy chevy New Member

To be honest with you i really like the superchips but i wish i would have got the edge. The only reason i went with the superchips is because it gives you a 2 year power train warranty. The superchips is supposed to give you 18 to 28 hp. The edge boast that they give 30 to 40. I am going to find out though. If fixn to buy the edge to just to see. You get 30 days to try it if you dont like it send it back. I really want to get this thing on a dyno just to see if it gave me the power it said. The programer has a 1/4 mile time calculator on it and it says that i am running a 15.3 at 95 and 0-60 in 6.71 so i dont know the real proof will be in the dyno and at the track. I have a buddie that has the edge and he said his is calculated a 14.2 at 96. It is hard to tell till you take it to the track tho. It is hard to believe that he has got me by a whole second and we have the same truck. Oh and might I add his is ext cab mine is reg cab. He has 22s and i got 20s so i dont know.
  13. heavy chevy

heavy chevy New Member

I got the top of the line cortex for 388.00 and free next day delivery. I will say that the superchips is better than the hypertech. A buddie of mine has the hyper and he hates it. He is telling me if i like the edge more than the superchip that he will give me what i paid for the superchip.
  14. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member

I have a question about the custom tuned PTM your looking at, first off is your truck still under warranty? If so I am curious what will happen when you have to have it hooked up to a diagnostic machine in the future, because I thought that was the point of a handheld tuner in being that you could return it back to stock at the push of a button. I read a thread on Fullsizechevy.com about the black bear tuned PTM's, and they said in the case of having a check engine light come on you would have to e-mail them and they would send you the necessary cable that is required to set it back to stock. My problem with this is you have to wait 2-3 business days, and then you have to have a laptop to be able to run the software to return it back to normal. The last thing is most of the guys were asked what power gains they received, and most of them said they got between 30-40 horsepower. I was just curious about that part, and I am not putting you down don't take it that way. Thanks for any clarification in the future............AMY