1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Superchips Cortex

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by gocubs68, Jun 9, 2009.

1. gocubs68

gocubs68 Member

I bought a Superchips Cortex about a week ago. I downloaded the software and updated it as soon as I got it, and installed it onto my truck. I had read on the website where they estimated a 12HP and 15Torque increase on the 4.8L V-8, and had read countless testimonials on several websites stating that the cortex was amazing. I used the built it 1/4 mile timer on the cortex to record my data. Stock tune on 91 octane gas: 17.33@85. I thought it was slow, not THAT slow, but it is what it is. I installed the "performance" mode and increased my shift firmness and ran a blistering 17.33@87. My 60' decreased by .2 using the same launching techniques, and beleive me, there was no wheelspin. There were some things I liked about this programmer: The 1/4 mile feature was cool, and it gave you all the incremental times and MPH. It can monitor a lot of engine data: TPS, Air Inlet Temp, Engine Load, and many more. I bought it to correct my speedo once I get my 4.10's installed and for a little power gain. I am sending it back, and am considering the Bullydog Power Pup or the SCT. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting Diesel type power gains, but I don't think a tenth or two is too much to expect for $350.
  2. bcoffman

bcoffman Rockstar 100 Posts

I had a superchip in my deisel that i sold and got rid of it for a tuner specifically design for my truck and the upgrades. The new tuner was more powerful on the lowest setting than the superchip was on high performance setting. and when I switched the new one to 140hp gain wow!!
  3. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

That is one reason why you're usually better off going with a custom tune. They're usually cheaper and they're for your specific vehicle. That's just what I've seen.

-Greg
  4. gocubs68

gocubs68 Member

If I get a tune from Blackbear or Nelson how do I know what my A/F ratio is short of going to a dyno? With a specific tune, how do you get your truck back to stock for warranty work? The only guy I would trust to tune my truck is 3 hours away, and I really don't want to go through all that hassle. Those are my concerns with a custom tune.
  5. 08victoryredZ71

08victoryredZ71 Rockstar

So just curious on an 08 silverado z71 with a tune how much HP TQ can be gained from it?
  6. heavy chevy

heavy chevy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Hey man I had the same problem with my cortex and that is why I dont have it any more. I was around low 15s with the 4.8 tho. I went with wait4meperformance and got the sct hand held and let me tell you. You better hold on even with the low setting. It will spank the superchips performance setting bad.