Suprised at 2002 LS1500 shortbed 5.3 performance

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Huey, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Huey

Huey New Member

Just purchased 2002 and it does move! Very suprised at just how well.
    I'm wanting to learn from those that have been there done that when
    it comes to making 5.3 run well, especially from MPG standpoint.

Have many of you changed or upgraded a chip and if so was it worth it?
    Can you recommend a chip manufacturer and advise how it improved you
    performance.

I also interested in putting on K & N filter. Have any of you had success with one?

Any thoughts on what to look for when it comes to preventitive mantainance?

Looking forward to learning and sharing.
    Thanks Bob

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Hey Bob, welcome to the GM truck club. I've used K&Ns filters on cars, trucks, & motorcycles for years & they work well. Chips also work well, but usually when guys get them they don't tune them for mpg, but for performance instead. MPG & torque gains can be had with long tube equal length headers, high flow cats, low restrictive mufflers, & mandrel bent exhaust pipes.
    As far as preventative maintenance, check your service intervals posted in your owners manual. It is the best guide out there & written by the guys that know these vehicles the best.

3. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club!

4. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club!

5. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C !Welcome to the G M T C !

6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome!!!

7. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI Rockstar 100 Posts

Welcome to the club Bob. I have an '02 as well and as my signature says, I've put a little work into it. With the all the mods I have on the truck i average about 19.25 MPG on the highway and 16 around town. I did see some MPG gains out of my Hypertech programmer, but like Stephan said, most of my mileage improved with the exhaust and intake. But there are programmers that are just for fuel economy, if that's all you are looking for.

8. Huey

Huey New Member

Thanks for your ideas and welcome messages

Thanks to all that replied. I have a lot to learn and appeciate your advise. Just posted first picture this morning. My 1500 LS 5.3 is short bed, flare side and since I just filled it up I will have to wait and see how the mileage is, but I will review the Hypetech idea and others. The LS did have CAT system installed, thank you previous 1 owner. It does have some dings and dents that will be corrected and with time make it another Chevy of class. Any ideas you wish to share please do so. Many thanks, Bob

9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome aboard!

10. Jay

Jay Rockstar

Hey Bob...Welcome. In my short time as a member here I have found a lot of guidance from these folks. There are people on this site that have a great deal of knowledge and will be more than willing to help.

If you have a chance...review the post in the General Tech Section that is titled "Things that I know - Answers to FAQs" by mjalstad... I think you will find it very helpful in providing guidance regarding what you're looking to do. Very well written!

Good luck, Man!!