1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Surburan replacement engine/ engine swap

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Nickv, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Nickv

Nickv New Member

Hi Folks
    Need a little advise on a project I am thinking about. I am looking a buying a 2002 chevy surburan. Has over 250,000 miles, engine needs a bit of work and is tired. The rest of the vehicle is in good shape. I would like to refurbish this vehicle. I would like to upgrade the engine and transmission. Perhaps something a little newer, more fuel efficent, maybe a 5 or 6 speed transmission. I am thinking about getting either a new crate engine or something from a salvage yard 2011 or 2012. Can anyone give me some ideas at what engine and transmission combos would fit my 2002 and where to start looking. Thanks
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

you can make anything fit into anything, for a price. I dont know specifics but here are alist of probelms you will have. You will need the engine, tranny, transfer case (if 4x4) and computer all from the same truck. having more gears in the tranny i will guess its longer then your current 4L60e, so that would mean new drive shaft. now if this is 4x4 you will need a front drive shaft as well. Now the new trucks are a coilspring setup instead of the torsion setup that you currently have, so you will have design issues to work around in the front end. you would most likely need the fuel system from the new truck. Also the new trucks do not have mechanical fans like yours does, so you would have to make the switch to an elctric fan and all the wiring and splicing into the relays. then you would have to make it all work with your old dash/gauge cluster. any 4x4 linkage to the switches. I am sure there are many more things but its late. Your investment wouldnt be worht the couple mpg you would gain. Your engine is good enough, you are better off having it rebuilt, getting the right intake/cam/header/exhaust package for your needs and having you your tranny rebuilt with some sort of shift improver. then after all is said and done get a custom tune from Blackbear and you will be set. there are a few other thngs that can be done but this should be your starting point.
  3. Nickv

Nickv New Member

Sounds like a lot of work. Thanks for the advise. What I may wind up doing is overhauling the current drive train and see what I can do with a custom tuner.