surging issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by zombieclod, Apr 6, 2009.

1. zombieclod

zombieclod New Member

Hello all,

What's the best way to check for vacum leaks on a vortec?? My truck is a 1997 5.7.

Thanks,
    John

2. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

welcome to the site, you can always use the carb spray trick
    have the truck running and spray carb spray where ever there are vacuum lines and dont forget around the intake. just listen for the engine to stumble or surge

3. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Does your truck rev a few hundred RPM's when sitting at a stoplight with your foot on the brake? I know my 99 always does, I never found a fix for it....

4. zombieclod

zombieclod New Member

No, it surges between 40 and 50mph. It doesn't do it at any other time or speed. I thought it might be the TC hunting (locking and unlocking), but I tried driving it in third gear and it still surges.
    It's not a severe surge just aggrivating! LOL

5. bd1326

bd1326 Rockstar

95CTburb19,

sounds like the problem my 99 silverado had. when i started it it would idle higher than normal, at a stop it would either idle real low and stall or idle real high. it ended up being my throttle position sensor.

6. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Thanks I'll check it out! Mine will never stall though and seems to idle normally. I think the fact that it has 202k on it might play into it somehow. :lol: