Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Surpentine Belt Replacement 2001 Silverado

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by newharley, May 28, 2009.

1. newharley

newharley New Member

I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado, 4x4, 3.5L V8, and i would like to replace the two Surpentine fan belts. If somebody could forward me the procedure i would greatly appreciate it?

2. Z71_Man

Z71_Man New Member

Just got finished doing the same thing to my 03 this weekend. Here's what I did:

-remove air intake pipe - disconnect from throttle body and MASS air flow sensor
    -unclip the radiator hoses from the clamps that also go into your fan shroud
    -on my 03, yours may be different, there are three clips on each side of the fan shroud - remove these
    -take the top half of the fan shroud off
    -front belt is tensioned by the tensioner on the left side - use a 1/2" socket to release tension and remove the belt
    -the a/c belt is more of a pain in the !@# - crawl under the truck and remove the cover in front of the skid plate (if yours has one) in other words - what blocks your view from the crank pulley
    -use a 3/8" socket to loosen that tensioner and remove the belt.

Took me about an hour and I was done. Not bad for all the labor savings!

3. newharley

newharley New Member

Thanks for the help, i was able to do get the air conditioner belt from up top without removing the skid plate but the rest of the procedure you relayed to me was a big help.