1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Surprised by the prices of older trucks ?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by JTWard, Dec 26, 2013.

1. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

I've been watching Mecum & Barrett / Jackson auctions and besides all Mopar prices in the stratosphere, I'm really surprised by the prices of old 40&50's pickup prices. Surfing the net I can't find anything useable as project vehicle. I've been looking for a 1949 to-53 5 window pickup to restore and it's a long term project. But everywhere I look even old mice and other rodents ex apartments are going for $15K. . ? :no:
  2. poncho62

poncho62 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

The auction shows sure dont help matters any. The 5 window Gm trucks are quite popular these days which may account for part of it. Maybe look for another brand of truck to restore. I always liked the Internationals.

Oh yeah....this is a GM truck site...I take that back....lol
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Head out to the boondocks, Ive been finding ok, not great just ok, deals in smaller towns.
    Lots of half finished projects that need to be started over again.
  4. JTWard

The hunt !

Yeah, I'm sure if I wander out 75 to 100 miles in Carbon or one of the other rural areas. Stops in dinners and just meting wit some townsfolk will render some leads. :money:
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My dad just bought a 56' Chevy stepside truck completely restored, It is the original 6 cylinder with 3 speed transmission. He traded a 34 ford, and a 70 Nova that were both in so so condition.
  6. grampy

grampy Member 100 Posts

Good luck, it may be a long search. I would suggest even looking into some farm auctions. Keeping in mind that farm / ranch auctions can get a bit crazy too, I attend a few of them, sometimes I have to keep my hands in my coat pockets and hold my head very still !! occasionally you see some older cars or tucks at farm autions.
  7. JTWard

I'm having tough time trying to post without pounding he keys on the keyboard, and it's brand new ! :grrrrrr:
  8. zuki82

zuki82 Member 100 Posts

lets try this again! GRAMPY: whats the tractor in your pic? A 966 or the 1066? We have a guy that comes in every now and then with an Inter-smashable truck, painted up and numbered as a 1066 tractor!! Its totally awesome! As for getting a 5 window, come up to Syracuse for the nationals! There's all kinds of cars and trucks for sale at the show!
  9. grampy

grampy Member 100 Posts

It's a 1086, built in 1976, good old made in USA iron. It's quite an old workhorse.
  10. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

Those damn auction shows are the reason for these ridiculous prices.