Suspension Issues 2500HD

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Brantley, Oct 20, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Brantley

Brantley New Member

Have 2003 Chevy 2500HD 2wd Crew Cab. 6.0 gas engine. My Goal is to improve the ride of the truck. It is very stiff. Would also like to lower the truck a little, possibly 2-4 inches, especially the rear because it is difficult to load and level for pulling my camper. Towing my camper about 5-6 times a year is the heaviest hauling I do. Camper is not that heavy. Otherwise a daily driver. I have sought advice from 3 alignment shops in my area along with looking at coments on the web. I have purchased lowering shackles for the rear but have not installed them yet. My plan is to purchase tires with lower load range than e which the truck currently has. Have also lowererd the air pressure in current tires which has helped some. Experimented with lower load range tires which does help a little. Alignment shops say that adjusting the bolts on the torsion bars won't help me soften the ride much. All three shops are not familiar with lowering keys (which are rare since most people are looking to raise the truck). However, I have found a couple places on line that sell adjustable keys for lowering. One alignment shop said to try taking out the overload spring on the rear. Noted this should improve ride of the whole truck without sacrificing performace since I do not pull really heavy loads. Attempted to do this but could not get out the bolt that holds the spring stack together on top of axle. Would this really help? Can have a local shop remove them for me. I don't think lowering and leveling the truck will be a problem, but should I purchase these lowering keys? All three alignment shops advised against them. One shop noted that replacing shocks might help. Primary goal wold be to improve the ride. I know that older GM 3/4 trucks with coil springs seem to ride better and that's what I am looking for. Thanks to anyone who has hands on advice in this area.
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

:sign0016:To the Site........Some insight, as you have posted up Under the Member's Introduction Section of the Forum........This Section is where you let the other members know a little bit about you and some specs about your Truck.

Your Suspension question will receive more.....Reply's....Advice....and Help under the Tech Section of the Forum.....:glasses:
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

easiest way for a better ride is a half ton. other than that some adjustable shocks might help it so you can set them softer. Take out a leaf in the rear. for lowering the rear, the shackles will be the best way (dont remember the size of the block) and removing a leaf will lower it some too.
  4. Brantley

Brantley New Member

Ride Improvement 2500HD

Have 2003 Chevy 2500HD 2wd Crew Cab. 6.0 gas engine. My Goal is to improve the ride of the truck. It is very stiff. Would also like to lower the truck a little, possibly 2-4 inches, especially the rear because it is difficult to load and level for pulling my camper. Towing my camper about 5-6 times a year is the heaviest hauling I do. Camper is not that heavy. Otherwise a daily driver. I have sought advice from 3 alignment shops in my area along with looking at coments on the web. I have purchased lowering shackles for the rear but have not installed them yet. My plan is to purchase tires with lower load range than e which the truck currently has. Have also lowererd the air pressure in current tires which has helped some. Experimented with lower load range tires which does help a little. Alignment shops say that adjusting the bolts on the torsion bars won't help me soften the ride much. All three shops are not familiar with lowering keys (which are rare since most people are looking to raise the truck). However, I have found a couple places on line that sell adjustable keys for lowering. One alignment shop said to try taking out the overload spring on the rear. Noted this should improve ride of the whole truck without sacrificing performace since I do not pull really heavy loads. Attempted to do this but could not get out the bolt that holds the spring stack together on top of axle. Would this really help? Can have a local shop remove them for me. I don't think lowering and leveling the truck will be a problem, but should I purchase these lowering keys? All three alignment shops advised against them. One shop noted that replacing shocks might help. Primary goal wold be to improve the ride. I know that older GM 3/4 trucks with coil springs seem to ride better and that's what I am looking for. Thanks for any advice.
  5. Brantley

Brantley New Member

Considered the half ton which is what I have always had up till purchasing a camper but was fearful the transmission wouldn't hold up. My last truck was a 95 1/2 ton. Towing was murder on the trans. This truck pulls the camper great with room for whole family.
  6. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  7. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!
  8. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C !
  9. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

********threads Merged***************