1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Suspension Lift Installation Woes

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by ippielb, Aug 30, 2009.

1. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Well, might as well ask all my problems here, instead of making a new thread every time. So...

I have the pickle fork out now for the lower ball joints, but I'm having problems trying to get it under the rubber seal, i don't want to wreck it. These darn ball joints are getting on my nerves, oh and i haven't been able to get the drivers side torsion bar out, the key is really rusted in there. We've taken an air hammer and vibrated the heck out of ourselves and the bar trying to get that darn thing out. Tried a 3lb one hand sledge, and a metal bar to smack the thing out, but still been unlucky. I've soaked both the ball joints and the torsion bars with WD-40 for hours. But still no luck.

Any suggestions?
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I don't think you're going to get that ball joint out without destroying the boot. I think you can get boots at Napa, AZ, etc. Put the fork in, and use the three pound hammer on it. You have taken the nut off the ball joint behind the knuckle, right?
  3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The boot is a goner in most cases. When a BFH and a pickle fork doesn't work I like this beauty.
    [​IMG]
  4. ippielb

Well, got my knuckles off, and dropped the front differential! It's out. Now, to cut the differential mounts and weld the little piece of metal they included in the kit for support. Then it'll all be bolting it together!
  5. ippielb

Got the rear cross member on. now to raise the differential again. Easy job now!
  6. dsrtne1

dsrtne1 Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Can't wait to see pictures! Post some up as soon as you have a chance!:great:
  7. ippielb

Well, i've only had time to snap one picture, and wow, was it empty down there. lol
    [​IMG]
    For all you safety nuts, the truck is lifted from the frame as close as i can with the 20 tonne bottle jacks, plus it's got railroad ties so it can't go side to side and tip over. it's resting on the rear axle on the back with around four 75lb tractor weights, so that thing isn't dropping forward.

Edit: lol "Safely tie the brake caliper out of the way, do not hang it by the brake line." lol okay lets use some bale twine! haha i'm surprised that it hasn't ripped.
  8. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I give you a ton of credit for doing it yourself and not taking it some where, that is a hellacious job to take on especially when the truck is older like yours and everything has had a chance to get all rusted in place! While you have everything apart are you going to upgrade any of the suspension parts, such as pitman arms or bushings? The only reason I ask is because Energy Suspensions has some nice Poly bushings that are great for lifted truck, being that you don't get all the squeeks and creaking from regular parts.

Awesome picture though, that is scary when you see the entire truck stripped down like that. I hope you at least marked the parts or took pictures as you took it apart, because I know I would forget what went where!
  9. masterfoxscout

masterfoxscout Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Ah...this pic gave me nightmares from when I did mine.
  10. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2 on props for doing it yourself...I wussed out and had a shop do it for me. Can't wait to see some more pics.