Suspension lift questions.

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Hutch_85, Feb 1, 2014.

Newest Photos

1. Hutch_85

Hutch_85 New Member

What's up fellas? I'm new to this site and I am not as familiar with suspension lifts as I would like to be. I am eventually going to get a new truck and when I do, I plan to put a 6 inch lift kit on it. From time to time, I have seen trucks with lifts on them and I notice that the front tires stick out more than the rear do. IMO, I think that looks silly. Are there any ways to avoid this when it comes time to put a lift on my next truck? Thank you, Hutch_85.
  2. 96lsblazer

96lsblazer New Member

you could always get wheel spacers for the rear to make them stick out the same.
  3. Hutch_85

Hutch_85 New Member

I have heard that spacers aren't good for your truck in the long run. But others may have mixed feelings about them.
  4. 96lsblazer

96lsblazer New Member

i have 2 inch wheel spacers all around on my 96 blazer and what it did for me was reduce body roll so i look at it as a good thing but im sure wider tires could give the same effect as spacers
  5. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member 100 Posts

Even the factory stance has the front tires wider than the rear... in the 4x4 models. I believe the upper end lifts are designed to at least maintain the factory geometry. Changing this could impact handling/tracking when in four wheel drive. Just my two cents.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Like Timtom posted the reason the front axle width is wide than the rear is due to vehicle stability and handling, also.
    The wider front stance controls the rear of the vehicle, this is especially noticeable at higher speed and during turns. Get the rear track wider than the front and youll start to have very strange handling characteristics. Itll also affect the turning radius negatively during low speed turns.
  7. Rocketmanh5

Rocketmanh5 New Member 100 Posts

Unfortunately no, the only way to avoid this is to add wheel spacers to the rear. Kits above 4" come with aftermarket knuckles. These knuckles stick out slightly more than the stock ones did. The front axles come with spacers to push them back to where they need to be. This all pushes the front wheel out farther. Wheel spacers need to be installed properly and torqued to spec along with loctite.
  8. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Depending on the vehicle and lift kit used will determine how much width is added. For example on my truck procomp and superlift offered their kits in either bracket lift or knuckle lift. As you, I dont care for the extra width with a knuckle lift, so using the bracket lift utilizes the stock knuckles and maintains front width, also allowed for use of stock wheels.