1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

suspension replacement question

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by IdahoChevy91, Oct 10, 2011.

1. IdahoChevy91

IdahoChevy91 Member 100 Posts

I was wanting to know what would be good things to replace in my suspension for my truck. It is a 1989 chevy 2500 4x4, and the suspension is all original from what I can gather except for the front shocks which were last replaced at least 5 years ago, and the rear shocks, which i replaced about a month ago, and the truck has started making a lot of noise whenever the front suspension goes over the smallest bump or into the smallest dip in the road, so I was wondering what are some things that would benefit from being replaced at this point? And the body of the truck including the suspension as far as I know has a lot of miles since the odometer on the truck broke at 269,524.5. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated. Also, what would be the cheapest way to get a lift on the truck? Or, by looking at my pics, does anyone think I could fit 35x12.5s on my truck as it sits now? It currently has 32" tires I was told. The tires say 265/70R17, so im not sure. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Most likely all the suspension and body mount bushings are shot, there over 20 years old. I would start with the body mounts, upper&lower control arm bushings, leaf spring bushings and then check/replace the balljoints, idler arm, pitman arm, inner&outter tie rod ends etc.

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

You need at least a 4" lift on your year truck to fit 35's.
  3. IdahoChevy91

You're right, all the bushings in the front suspension are completely shot, gonna be around $80-90 to fix it. But thanks for the start on what to check.
  4. hotrodking86

hotrodking86 Rockstar 100 Posts

Just remember that once you replace everything especially all of those suspension parts to get your front end aligned or all the money will go to waste.
  5. IdahoChevy91

Yeah, it needs an alignment anyway because the previous ownercranked up the torsion bars I believe so its not aligned correctly, so good timing for me to replace the bushings lol
  6. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

yep to both of those