1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Suspension Suggestions

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by ShootinUp, Oct 19, 2009.

1. ShootinUp

ShootinUp New Member

Hey guys,

New to the site and all but wondering if you could recommened an efficient suspension setup for my situation. My truck is constantly being used for heavy loads and its a base model 1500. I own a 24' Sea Ray which wieghs minimum 4800lbs.

The back sags quite a bit and seems to be alittle more bouncey then i'd like. What kind of shock/strut package would I need?

I was looking at a Bilstein HD Shock...

Thanks

Steven
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

Roadmaster Active Suspension Kits

You didn't mention what year your truck is. If it has leaf springs check out the Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHdLMfb23tg"]YouTube - Roadmaster Active Suspension Kits In Action[/ame]
  3. brianj

brianj New Member

You could also go the real cheap but effective route- put a set of helper springs on the leaf spring pack.I like them because they do not really affect the ride of your truck until you put enough weight on the rear of the truck to load up the helper springs. Like I said, old school and kinda primitive- but under a hundred dollars and quite effective.
  4. ShootinUp

ShootinUp New Member

My truck is a 2001 Suburban LS 1500...

I was told a Monroe or Bilstein Strut/Shock kit would do good. I'm not really sure all that I need. Also what kind of person would I want to install this sort of material???
  5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Bilsteins would work well. One thing I usually recommend is firestone air springs. I have installed them in a few trucks and they work really well. I looked them up for the suburban and it is an airbag inside the spring(coilrite) so a little different than the truck ones (riderite). their a lot cheaper than the truck air springs which is always nice. The suburban ones are just rated lower than the truck ones. heres the manufacturers site www.firestoneindustrial.com and you can get them from summit racing for cheap http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FIP-4108/ The nice thing about the airsprings is you can manually inflate when you need to get rid of the sag or you can buy the automatic leveling system so you set the height and it will adjust automatically to loads.
  6. ippielb

ippielb Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Air bags will probably be your best bet