1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swap 2001 5.3 into 08 Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by PSIRockin07, Jan 22, 2014.

1. PSIRockin07

PSIRockin07 New Member

Found an 01 5.3L with a wiring harness for $300. Same mileage as my current engine which is a 4.3L. What all would it take to do this swap and have the setup work correctly? Would it cost way more than it's worth of would it be a cheap alternative to buying another truck (which I can't do) or buying an 08 5.3 which is considerably more expensive.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Are you changing the engine because you have a crack in the exhaust manifold of the 4.3 (earlier post)?
  3. PSIRockin07

PSIRockin07 New Member

No, I've been wanting to do an engine swap for a while. The cracked manifold just brought the idea to my attention again.
  4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

if this were a 70's vehicle it would work. with the computer controls on the entire vehicle systems since that time, swapping engines and transmissions is not an easy or cheap way to go for these to work correctly. I am sure it is possible ,but will cost a lot.
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If I was doing this swap, I would do it like I did my LS1 swap in my Colorado. I would make it stand alone, which would mean that none of your gauges will work. Your BCM would be untouched, and all of your body controls would function correctly.

01 is ODB2, and 08 is CAN... This will be your biggest obstacle, anything is possible.
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Just so we don't confuse the issue, The engine diagnostics are still ODB2, CAN (Controller Area Network) is the protocol that is used between the individual computer modules in the newer trucks. It provides a service similar to the LAN (Local Area Network) that we use on our home and office computer networks.