Swap 350 for 454...what needs to be done?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by rzhorne, Jul 5, 2009.

1. rzhorne

rzhorne New Member

I own a '96 Silverado with a 350 in it right now. I would like to eventually throw a 454 in it. I made this swap in my '81 Silverado a few years back...of course in the '81 there is alot less junk to clog up the engine compartment. My '96 is my daily driver and I would like to keep it as functional as possible (A/C, etc, etc) I would also like to keep it fuel injected if possible.

I can work on my 350 no problem and basically do anything that need to my truck with no help, but when it comes to the electronice (Computer) I am clueless. Basically I am a parts changer. I can change any parts in my truck that need changed, but when it comes to upgrading to something that is not supposed to be there, I am lost.

Obviously I would have to get all new stuff for the Big block, but is there a way to use the same computer and just have it reprogrammed for the 454.

Another route if I decided to go Carb and throw the fuel injection out, how would that affect the rest of the computer run equipmet?

Does any one know a good site or any good place to get research material for a guy like my self to research computers? Or is that something that just comes with time?

thanks all!

Rick

2. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

454 is not worth the horsepower i think it makes around 200 something.....

maybe just bore out your 350 block? FI?

or you might want to look into a 383
    http://www.jegs.com/p/GM-Performance/GM-Performance-Parts-HT-383-Engine/969813/10002/-1

if i was going to do it i would go with a gen 3 motor, so much reliable. like a 6.0 99-06 05+ were better 6.0

and you can find 6.0s everywhere, i seen someone buy one for about 400 dollars, and you would need to buy a tranny too. :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

you would need the tranny as well,7.4 is about 295hp and 440 TQ the stock tranny in your truck cannot handle that

4. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow Rockstar 100 Posts

not to mention that its a differnet trans for the 454's simple swap but you have to get a 96 to 99 454 with an 4l80e and an new driveshaft the 4l803 is longer and if its 4x4 your got to get an new transfer case i believe

5. 2ToNe04

Maybe Forced induction is a good route

6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Your PCM is matched to your powertrain. I would stick with the small block as you will get more HP for every dollar spent as opposed to a big block. If you are set on a big block get the engine, transmission and PCM from a 96 truck. 96 was a transition year from OBDI to OBDII so make sure you get a PCM that matches your harnesses on your truck.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would be inclined to soup up the 350. For the money you are going to spend on the 454, you could go along way. Plus, fuel economy is going to be much better with the small block, even with mods. I think you can do a supercharger for about three grand. Now that would be cool!

8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Swap 350 for 454 what need to be done

Check out GMs performance HT383E crate motor. Its a direct true bolt in for 96 to 99 Siverados. GM says the stock ECM will work, but a custom tune will give more hp and torque. The motors part # is 17800393. Dont confuse this motor with the HT383 #12499101.

9. 2ToNe04

how would he save mpg? i would think you would lose more mpg.

:)

supercharger = more air

more air means more fuel.

<<<<<< not trying to be an a-hole, thats how i learned on differant forums. lol :)

10. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I admit, fuel economy is a weak consideration, especially if you're putting a big block in a half ton. However, I understand the concept of a supercharger. You are only going to use as much power as needed to push the truck down the road. So if's idling in traffic, the 350, even with the supercharger, should be more efficient than the big block. If you need, say 50 hp to push your truck down the road at 65mph, you will burn approximately the same fuel whether its a V6 or 502.

Now, if he puts in a sloppy cam and gets into it all the time, he'll burn more. I know if I had a supercharger, I'd be in it all the time:biggrin: