1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

swapping axles or other ideas?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by redneckarmyMP, May 13, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP New Member 100 Posts

the gears in the rear end of my blazer went out yesterday.i pulled the diff. cover off to inspect the damage and found pieces of the bearings.other than that i couldnt find much more damge.

heres where it gets a little tricky..nothing seems to be original on this truck..including the rear axle.it appears to be a 12 bolt from various GM models from 1964-82.i have several options to go with here but want to spend the least about possible.

i have a 77 F250 that ive given up working on for now with a Dana 60 with 4.56 gears.if i were to pull that axle out and put it on the blazer, what complications am i looking at if any?

or i could just rebuild the one in the blazer but im afraid that could get pretty costly..

thanks for any help!
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Usually this does end up being the most expensive. However, if you decide to spend the money, you'll be able to rebuild with whatever you want (locker, selectable locker, limited slip)

This might be the cheapest approach, because you already have the axle. I'm not at all familiar with the D60, so I can't comment on most of the complications. The one complications you could face is with the gear ratio. Assuming your Blazer is 4wd, you'll need to make sure the front gear ratio matches the rear. If the front isn't already 4.56, the complication will be that you'll end up rebuilding the front end with 4.56 gears, which could end up making this a more expensive option.

Buying another junkyard axle might also be a good option, if you are willing to settle for a factory axle.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Providing the gears are close in ratio the D60 would probably be the best bet, brake line fittings are a standard size, you'll probably have to cobble up some type of connector for the E brake cable, the spring perch's will more than likely need to be modified, but the D60 is a great axle only slightly less bullet proof than a Rockwell.
    You might need to have a custom driveshaft built with the D60 U-joint on a Blazer driveshaft.
  4. redneckarmyMP

thanks for the replies.ill investigate the damage a little more and see what the cost to rebuild is going to be.i realized not long after i posted up that the lugs on the D60 are 8 lug so completely swapping axles may be a bit more of a project than im looking to take on right now.but hopefully i can do the swap later down the road
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Changing the fronts to 8 lug is pretty easy. Just need new hubs/rotors.
  6. kburb

kburb New Member 100 Posts

if you have car quest auto parts stores in your area they can help with the u joint. When i did my swap i was able to get a joint the would adapt my 1/2t shaft to my 3/4 rear.

the d60 is a great choice but you may be able to find a 14B with the same R&P and it will bolt right up.
  7. redneckarmyMP

i thought about that but then id have to buy a new set of tires for the 16.5" 8 lug wheels.theyre all in pretty bad shape.the ones i have on the blazer now are in great shape with plenty of tread so id like to just stick with the 15" wheels and those tires
  8. redneckarmyMP

i may just look for a 14 bolt like you suggested.so far that seems to be the easiest option i have
  9. kburb

kburb New Member 100 Posts

if you want a semi float 14 bolt has the 6 lug pattern that will match the front. it has a smaller ring gear and is not a strong as the 14 B flull floater. But it keeps you from changing the front and if you are not a hardcore rock crawler you chould be fine.
  10. redneckarmyMP

yea i dont do the rock crawling thing too much.im a mud kinda guy myself.but good news!i took a good look inside the diff. and the only damage was the pinion bearings and the pinion oil seal.which are cheap part but a bitch to replace as ive found so far..ive got to go to the dentist in the morning but after that ill be back at it and hopefully by tomorrow afternoon she should be back on the street.i really appreciate everybodys help and insight on this