Swapping instrument cluster question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Kraziken, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

Hello,

I'm looking at buying a 2002 Suburban from Canada.

It is legal to import. The speedomoter shows KMH as primary and MPH as secondary. More of a concern is the odometer is in kilometers. It isn't required, but I'd like to convert the cluster to a U.S. setting.

I see they have things like this on ebay. How hard is it to swap it myself? Also, how do I program the odometer? I assume it is illegal for me to do. Is this something a dealer has to complete?

Thanks

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Assuming the burbans are like their counterpart trucks, the gauge cluster removal is as simple as popping off and removing the dash bezel, removing 7mm hex head screws, and then removing the gauge cluster. (You may need to disconnect the wiring harness from it by reaching behind it or turning it face up or face down ... prior to actual removal from the dash.)

Thus, the swap is easy. As for programming the odometer, as I understand it you will need to take the gauge cluster to a stealership and ask them to do it -- as the gauge cluster is what stores the mileage.

Given the potential for concerns around forged milage AND the need to have the programming done by a stealership, anyway ... I'd simply have a stealership do the entire swap. (It's not a lot of labor in terms of the physical change-out; I don't know what's involved, programming-wise.) I strongly recommend consulting with one before proceeding, too, as this response is based on what I've read on the subject. I believe it to be accurate but I'd want you to get a definitive answer just to be sure.

Surreal

3. osgprometheus

osgprometheus Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Just swap it. They are the same just labeled diff.

4. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Are the gauge faces the same or does it have the metric speeds as the larger numbers? Perhaps changing just the gauge face. I believe the stealership can change the odometer to read miles instead of kM by programming it. If the cluster face is the same, just take it in and have it reflashed to read right. My wife's car has a button on the dash that switches between Miles and kM.