Swapping out Master Cylinder ???'s

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by 4x4_only, Oct 29, 2008.

1. 4x4_only

4x4_only Member

Hey all,

WHile fixing up my old 87 chevy, I swapped the axles to a Dana 60 Front & 14 Bolt rear. I also swapped out the stock brakes and robbed a set off of a 1-ton pick up. With 38.5x15.50 tires, the brakes are rather over powered. I've thought about bolting on a 1-ton master cylinder because I know a few guys that have done this on their jeeps and run up to 39's and they tell me the brakes work great.

Has anyone had any experience doing this? Do you master cylinders swap out without any adapters? Will I need to swap the booster as well?

Everyone's $.02 are appreciated. I can get a MC & Booster cheap but if it's too much of a hassle I might not bother.

2. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Breaking is the most important aspect of driving. My old man always said that if you add any weight to the front of your car then you should upgrade the braked to compensat. Its a good idea to step up the master cylinder and the booster.
    As far as mounting the master cylinder you may have to drill new bolt holes in your motor compartment but I doubt that any other mods are ncessary.

3. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm currently doing something similar to my jeep. I got a booster and master cylinder for dirt cheap so I'm swapping that in as we speak. Do you drive this on the street or is it just for trails and such? there are somethings that will need to be changed for the brake lights to function properly I believe.

4. 4x4_only

4x4_only Member

Yeah it spends time on both...more so on trails but still goes and pounds a little pavement. Any ideas what would throw the brake lights off?

Thanks.