1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swapping out the 5.3 for the 6.0 vortec max

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Stonewall42, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Stonewall42

Stonewall42 Member

Hey guys, I have a 2000 gmc sierra 1500 Z71 with the 5.3 & I was wanting to swap it out for a 2006 6.0 vortec max. I was wondering if someone can help me as to how it would fit or if it were even possible. Thanks
  2. s5belford

s5belford Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

sounds like a hell of a project, good luck!
  3. BigRobSA

BigRobSA Member

Howdy!

They're the same sized block, just the bore/stroke/internals are different. It'll bolt right in. You'll just need the computers swapped, too.

Why, exactly, would you do this? Is the 5.3 bad, or is it simply something you want to do? Either way, sounds like a lot of fun and frustration are in your future.
  4. Stonewall42

Stonewall42 Member

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, but Big Rob I would like to new a newer, better, stronger engine. I have all ways wanted to replace an engine since I was a little kid and the specs on the 6ltr vmax will suit me just fine. I love the 5.3, it has definitely brought me a lot of joy in all 3 of my GM trucks, i just want to have a little bit more fun, haha
  5. BigRobSA

BigRobSA Member

Cool. Definitely take pics and journal your build/swap.

While you have the 6.0 out, you should go over it and maybe through it to make sure all is good. Heck, maybe forge the internals to be ready for whatever you feel like doing in the future. [​IMG]
  6. Project Reaper

Project Reaper Rockstar 100 Posts

ya if you have the money i would throuw some internals in the 6.0 and paint the block, etc... its definitely a fun project. ive done many swaps including multiple LS swaps into different vehicles.

so where are you doin the swap at? where are you located?
  7. hutch_pt

hutch_pt Rockstar 100 Posts

Prior to purchasing my 2007 Silverado two weeks ago (it has a 5.3 I was looking at a 6.0 vortex Max in a 2007. The gas mileage scared me away, but I did notice that it was a different transmission than the normal 4L60E. It was the 4L70E, which I found was a 4L60E with beefed up components to handle the increased torque.

Just something to think about...
  8. Stonewall42

Stonewall42 Member

Oh yeah I was definitely going to forge the internals & do cam swaps & such because I DO NOT want those Titan & Tundra owners thinking that they can get over on a GM, haha. But Project Reaper I will probably do it at my uncles house because he has basically everything I need to drop a engine in, but I am located in College Station, TX. Yeah hutch pt i seen the gas mileage ratings but it doesnt bother me too much because Ill have the power i want, haha. But i heard that Gm put a trans in called the 4L65E that they put in stock...but I am still gonna make sure the drivetrain can handle the power I am HOPEFULLY going to have, like a 12 bolt rearend & beefed up parts on the trans. I am hopefully going to get a fulltime job in the next month or so so I am going to drop massive amounts of money into my truck now
  9. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Swapping out the 5.3 for the 6.0 vortex max.

I talked to a guy that swap a newer LQ4 (325hp) into his 05 and he said he just bolted it in and connected the 5.3 sensors in a day in his garage and had ordered a Diablo Predator with a custom tune for the new motor and it worked and ran great. He had a tranny shop install Transgo shift kit , corvette servor and other Transgo tranny parts that didnt require the tranny to be removed.
  10. BigRobSA

BigRobSA Member

Since you're in C-Stat, you might make the trip to DFW for Phoenix Transmissions. They do a LOT of the big power trans work in that area for the TBSS/Silvy SS crowd and other LS engine powerhouses.

The stock 4speed autos don't like too much power thrown at them with all the weight you're packing. You might actually think about swapping a built trans at the same time. It's well worth the money. My TBSS has a fully built "Level 6" transmission that's good to 800 or more horses, which I will soon be testing the limits of.:lol: