Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Swapping stock 6 disk for navigation?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Blue05LT2, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Blue05LT2

Blue05LT2 New Member

Hi everybody! My name is Greg & I am new here, so forgive me if this has already been discussed (if so, please point me to a link). I have a 2005 Tahoe LT2 with the XM ready, 6 disk cd player with stock rear entertainment & Bose speakers. A buddy of mine is giving me the Navigation unit from his '05 Tahoe Z71 that he parted out.

My question is this: What all is actually involved in putting that Nav unit in my Tahoe? Is it just plug & play or are the actual plugs/wiring differant? Do I need other parts, such as a different antenna? Or would saving up some $ & going with aftermarket be the way to go?

I tried talking to another friend @ the service & parts counters @ my local Chevy dealership, but they say they never had to think about it, so they don't know.

Thanks for reading.
    Greg.

2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Hi Greg and welcome to the Club!! Unfortuntaly, I do not know the answer to your question but I am sure someone will be along soon who does, as there are a ton of stereo experts here.

3. Blue05LT2

Blue05LT2 New Member

Thanks. I'm just hoping maybe somebody already tried it or knows someone that tried it. I guess we'll find out one way or another! Only problem with trying my friend's unit is shipping it here to Idaho from California.

Greg.

4. ghotachevy

ghotachevy Rockstar ROTM Winner

i hate when people want to do this at work! its a pain in the ass from the tech side of it u need to program the radio whichs turns into headache in cars that didnt come w them so be prepared to spend some money for custom program at dealer if they will even do it for u alot of them are turning this away because u lose time if doesnt go well

5. Blue05LT2

Blue05LT2 New Member

That's what it's looking like (pain in the arse & lot's of money).

Thanks,
    Greg.