Swapping stock 6 disk for navigation?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Blue05LT2, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Blue05LT2

Blue05LT2 New Member

Hi everybody! My name is Greg & I am new here, so forgive me if this has already been discussed (if so, please point me to a link). I have a 2005 Tahoe LT2 with the XM ready, 6 disk cd player with stock rear entertainment & Bose speakers. A buddy of mine is giving me the Navigation unit from his '05 Tahoe Z71 that he parted out.

My question is this: What all is actually involved in putting that Nav unit in my Tahoe? Is it just plug & play or are the actual plugs/wiring differant? Do I need other parts, such as a different antenna? Or would saving up some $ & going with aftermarket be the way to go?

I tried talking to another friend @ the service & parts counters @ my local Chevy dealership, but they say they never had to think about it, so they don't know.

Thanks for reading.
    Greg.

2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Hi Greg and welcome to the Club!! Unfortuntaly, I do not know the answer to your question but I am sure someone will be along soon who does, as there are a ton of stereo experts here.

3. Blue05LT2

Blue05LT2 New Member

Thanks. I'm just hoping maybe somebody already tried it or knows someone that tried it. I guess we'll find out one way or another! Only problem with trying my friend's unit is shipping it here to Idaho from California.

Greg.

4. ghotachevy

ghotachevy Rockstar ROTM Winner

i hate when people want to do this at work! its a pain in the ass from the tech side of it u need to program the radio whichs turns into headache in cars that didnt come w them so be prepared to spend some money for custom program at dealer if they will even do it for u alot of them are turning this away because u lose time if doesnt go well

5. Blue05LT2

Blue05LT2 New Member

That's what it's looking like (pain in the arse & lot's of money).

Thanks,
    Greg.