sway bar/end links

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by btm88tc, Mar 8, 2014.

1. btm88tc

btm88tc New Member

I need to replace the sway bar and end link bushing. Does anyone have any advice on how to do it safely?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Block the back wheels fore and aft, set the park brake, lift the front and place on jackstands, using a jack lift up on the wishbone or axle ( if 4x4 with solid axle) on one side enough to take off the stress, replace bushings/link. Repeat for other side.
    Bushings can be bought at Auto Zone and Pep Boys under the "Help" brand name in a red package.
    Links dont normally need replacing unless bent or broken.
  3. Dana W

Dana W Member

There is no stress on the sway bar unless the truck is parked with one wheel on a hump. If you jack up one wheel then you are applying stress to the sway bar, aren't you?
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Photo-0276 (1).jpg Photo-0279 (1).jpg Photo-0277.jpg I have broken mine a few times With the better sway bars. An easy fix on the driveway I will be getting the energy suspension Links and bushings `
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Sometimes when you have older bushings on the frame the sway bar wont move easily and it makes it harder to disconnect. But yes your right if neither wheel is higher/lower than the other it shouldnt have stress.