1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sway Bar

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by jediracer, Nov 30, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. jediracer

jediracer New Member 100 Posts

My Brother-in-law has a '99 Blazer 4.3L 4WD. He thinks his sway bar needs replaced because his truck drives 'like a boat'. A friend of his said it could be the sway bar bushings and not the sway bar it's self. I offered to help him work on his truck but I not sure where to start and I have a few questions.

How can I tell if his problem is caused by his sway bar or his sway bar bushings?

How can you tell if either needs replacing?

I do not have any knowledge in this area so any input, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
    Jared
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It's very rare that the swaybar needs replacing, they just dont wear out.
    The bushings and end links on the otherhand do wear out.
    Slide under the truck and look at the bushings, are they cracked or deteriorating?
    Do the end links have any play?
  3. J_chevyman

J_chevyman New Member

I agree, 95% of the time its the sway bar bushing that go ou, since there made out of rubber...go with the polyurethene ones!!!
  4. jediracer

Thanks to you both for the info! I haven't looked under the truck myself. I told him to look at the bushings and to let me know what he finds.
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Has the Blazer always driven like a boat or is this something new. If the sway bars bushings are good than check the front suspension, steering pittman arm, idler arm and upper and lower control arm bushings.
  6. jediracer

He just told me he wants to replace his shocks as well. We'll check everything out while taking care of the shocks. Thanks for the tip.
  7. jediracer

New bushings did the trick! Thanks again!