1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swirls in paint - From automatic car wash - Ideas??

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by 2011laserblue, Feb 2, 2013.

1. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Well fellas, I've got a problem.

My once beautiful laser blue metallic paint has now got swirls in it - why? Because my brother talked me into going to this automatic car was that "won't swirl the paint because it has super soft brushes." To my demise, I got lazy and trusted his judgement and went through the carwash to get some of this damn salt off my truck. Plus there was an underbody spray, so I figured that wouldn't hurt.

I've ALWAYS used a sponge while washing my truck, and waxed the whole thing at the end of every month....

Now to my question - how do I get rid of it? I was thinking just go around it good with the wheel, will that do the job? Any special sort of product I should use? Or, is it a lost cause all together?

Thanks guys!
  2. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

3M Swirl remover, go to the Auto Paint Store if you have one around you, follow the directions and only take your winter beater to the car wash and leave your Brother at home. :rofl:
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Wizard Diamond Cut, on a buffer will pull that out no problem.

If It's real bad, Wizard sells Turbo Cut (1st step), Finish Cut (mild) Diamond Cut (finish)
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Ditto to above.. Any good Autoparts store will have a good product to remove them as long as you know how to wheel.. And also remember bikini_girl_washing_car_lg_clr.gif Always wash by hand kid_washing_car_mc.gif Then a good car_shower_lg_clr.gif As for your brother...[​IMG]
  5. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

X3

if you have to take it somewhere make sure it uses no brushes whatsoever. I use Adams polish with my Porter Cable polisher. I used the light swirl polish once last year and it cleaned them up real nice. Good luck and ask your bro if he wants you to wash his car with sandpaper. :lol:
  6. 2011laserblue

Haha thanks for the responses guys. I truly am kicking myself. I always wash by hand and swore that I would never take my truck into one of those contraptions because I know what they do. I was actually really surprised that my brother was so insistent on going, he is very meticulous about his truck. But he assured me that this place has soft brushes and would not leave swirls. Lesson learned.

It is times like this that I wish I would have gone with a 6" lift so I wouldn't have been able to fit in the first place. But the 4" does come in handy with garages, etc. :glasses:

Anyway, getting off topic. I appreciate the help!!! :great:
  7. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

I use a product... It works very well... I am not recalling the exact name... It is a glazing compound. I would buff the entire truck... You have to do it a quarter at a time. One tip... I like to hit mine with prepsol and clay bar before the buff. Then follow up with a paint sealer ... Orbital applied. And finally two thin coats of wax two weeks later. That's how I keep my truck so shiny... :))))
  8. JHL88

JHL88 New Member

car wash with bristles is a no no. it doesn't matter if they have soft bristles or not it has washed plenty of cars before yours and the dirt sand grime etc. stays in the fibers of the cloth and scratches the clear coat everytime a vehicle goes through it. i recommend to reduce swirls when washing it by hand use the 2 bucket method with 2 grit guards. if i were you id use a safe machine like a porter cable (rotary buffer is dangerous to a clear coat if you don't know how to use it right) and some polishing compound to remove the damage
  9. 2011laserblue

As stated before, I waxed my truck at the end of every month - washed it, clay barred it, then waxed :) Clay bars are awesome.

I know, I think about that now...but I was feeling lazy and my brother was so convincing...it seemed like a good idea at the time...? :neutral:
  10. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Stupid brother!! How about a clay bar?