1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swirls in paint - From automatic car wash - Ideas??

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by 2011laserblue, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I think a Good Buffing will be better for this..
  2. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue New Member 100 Posts

Agreed, I think I'll give it a bath, clay bar it, check out some of the products you all recommended, then hit it with the wheel!
  3. 11redz71

11redz71 New Member

If you think yours is swirled, you should see mine. That plan kind of backfired on me...NEVER again.

In case you havn't figured it out, i'm the Stupid Brother:lol:
  4. Trucking

Trucking New Member

So your brother has told you by now that the car wash didn't leave the swirl marks, and he's right. A car wash won't leave swirl marks. Washing, polishing or waxing in a circular motion leaves swirl marks, and "hitting it with the wheel" will leave swirl marks. If you want to get rid of them by hand, something like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze does a great job, just don't apply and buff in a circular motion. If you want to use a machine, you need an orbital buffer like a Porter-Cable, like the one Griot's sells.
  5. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

First, I am not a professional and I try and stick with my truck only, but I have a few friends were the paint on their car was badly oxidized and they let me mess around with their cars after signing a waiver of liability not to sue me for damages, and it let me practice a little more to :).

I bought one of those 10 inch orbital polishers from the parts store and they are the worst thing an average home owner can get to polish their cars. After allot of research I ended up spending "big money" $250 for a polisher.

(I am not trying to advertise for them, but the video shows you how to fix some of the issues you have with that polisher).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2GzAHeMElo&list=UU9usFPNSQnQbaH1lLedooYA&index=30
  6. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I take my 2013 to an automatic car wash all the time. The one I use has brushes, and it leaves no scratches. They keep their brushes clean. Now the car wash I go to, the brushes don't spin, they just go over your car.