1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Switch to synthetic ATF on 1995 5.7L Burb?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by jrduo4, Jun 22, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. jrduo4

jrduo4 New Member

Hello everyone! Newb here. Love the forum, lots of good stuff in here! I'm looking for some advice on if I should switch my ATF to synthetic or not. It's a 1995 5.7l GMC Suburban, K1500 SLE. It's got 110,000 miles on it. I bought it used. The last transmission fluid change was I believe at 60K. Thanks in advance!
  2. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It is always a good choice to switch to synthetic especially in the transmission. It is going to give you better wear protection, cooler operating temps, extended service life, and increase fuel economy.

Here is the link to my recommended product: ATF
  3. jrduo4

jrduo4 New Member

Procedure?

Thanks for the reply! Is there a procedure you recommend for switching to the synthetic, such as changing it again in a few thousand miles, because the synthetic will clean out the gunk?
  4. 1st Synthetics

If you say it was changed out at 60K I would hope there is no gunk in there. Is your trans a 4L60-E? If so and you are doing a trans filter and 5Qt drain and fill with AMSOIL ATF you will be good for 50,000 miles or what ever your owners manual recomends. If you want to drain all 11QT's and use AMSOIL ATF you are good for up to 100K miles. The Wix filter that you can get through me is part # 59804 for the 4L60-E. Hope this helps out.

Here are instructions for doing a 11QT drain on your trans if the torque converter does not have a drain plug in it: Click Here.
  5. jrduo4

jrduo4 New Member

I believe it's the 4L60-E, but how do I check to be certain? Thanks again for all the help!
  6. 1st Synthetics

You can call a dealer with your VIN#. I'm not sure if the 95 has the build codes in the glovebox or not.
  7. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow New Member 100 Posts

you can also look on the side of the trans for a 3 digit code like mt1 or m30 which btw is 4L60e it will be cast into the bellhousing or on a metal id tag
    1 person likes this.
  8. skipray

skipray New Member

count the bolts on the pan.

If it has 16 bolts on the pan it's 4l60e.If it has 17 bolts it's a 4l80e.I have a 1995 k1500 with the 4l60e.
  9. EvilNetwork

EvilNetwork New Member

The simplest way to identify it is... do you have a 1500 or 2500? If it's a 1500 it is the 60, if it is a 2500 it is the 80.