1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Switchback LEDs: Need your opinion

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by ffdsmokeeater, Aug 8, 2012.

1. ffdsmokeeater

ffdsmokeeater Member

I've been wanting to install some switchback LEDs on my truck but can't decide which bulbs to purchase. I'd like to get the bulbs from gorecon however purchasing 4 bulbs would cost me $160!!!

I've looked around but can't decide on another brand. Has anyone had any good luck with a different (cheaper) brand of switchback?

Thanks!!

2. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Don't get that high dollar stuff. I bought 4 switchbacks for 100 bucks including resistors from iJDMtoy.com. Good quality stuff even done my fogs, doom and license plate lights. But make sure you get the ones that are 57 SMD and not the 60 SMD. The 57 all the lights change back and forth to both colors . The 60 SMD have 30 of one color and 30 of another. The 57 SMD are way brighter and should be just what your looking for. Hit me up if you have any questions.

3. ffdsmokeeater

ffdsmokeeater Member

Awesome, man. Thanks for the input! Looks like that is what I'm going to go with. I'll post some pics upon arrival.

4. Fonze

Fonze Member

Hey man,

From my experience and opinion, I would say stay away from ijdmtoy for exterior lighting (excluding plate lights). I say this because I recently purchased 4 dome lights, 2 plate lights, and 4 LED switchbacks (57 SMD). The quality of the bulbs are terribad. The connections are only one thin wire on each side. It could have been better. My plate lights did not work right away due to the cheap connection wires. I had to tamper and bend them until they connected.

As for the switchbacks, they are poor quality (at least the ones I recieved). After a month of use, they flicker like crazy upon unlocking my truck, at night, when the DRL are coming on. They flicker amber and slowly turn white one-by-one. If your a stickler about perfection like me, then this is very cheap looking. They run perfectly fine after the flicker but it annoys the hell out of me.

Also, if your looking to match these to HIDs, don't get them. The white color they run as is like a flashlight color. Almost like a warm white. Not even close to my HIDs.

I for one will be returning mine and may try out Recon's.

And as for the quality, I guess you get what you pay for.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

@STORM:
    Do you have any of these problems?

5. 2k8z71

2k8z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have (had been) running the SMD ones for my turn signals right up until 2 days ago when I switched to their version of CREE style bulbs. The CREE style matches better to my HID's but the only thing I don't like is that since they are a forward projecting bulb, they don't really light up the housing like the SMD ones did. I have also bought the 921 2.5w cargo lights and one of them went out, so I am gonna get a swap under warranty on Monday. My most recent mod is some reverse bulbs from V-LED and I have only had them in for a day and one is flickering like crazy and won't stay bright. Sooo looks like I am gonna have to ship em back. But I really really like the reverse bulbs.... Soooo bright hehe

But iJDMtoy has really not been to bad for me. But my experience with V-LED isn't up to par. Might try superbrightled next.