1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Switched accessory power for '11 Silverado

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by hamel01, Nov 30, 2010.

1. hamel01

hamel01 New Member

I am trying to add a phone cradle and cell booster to my new truck but need to find a 12v switched power source. Where is the best place to pull the power from? I have heard people say that the distribution center by the brake pedal is the best but i am not sure if this truck has it as I have not looked. Has anyone had to get switched power and has a known good spot for it?

Thanks!

2. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Thread looks spot on Troutbug!

Welcome to the Club Hamel!!

4. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

Yes, welcome too. I didn't notice that this was your first post. Mike, I remembered that thread because I learned something from it too! Not bad for an almost middle-aged dog, huh?

5. hamel01

hamel01 New Member

Thanks everyone! Just to let you all know the '11 has the same power hook up spot as the '08 did so that post helped alot! Got everything in and works great!

Thanks again!

6. LBTRS

LBTRS New Member

I have a 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 and am trying to install a radar detector. I can't find a switched power source to save my life. After seeing this post I tried to find the pin on the distribution box to the left of the brake pedal but for the life of me can't figure out how to get the plastic cover off it. I pulled and pried the edges up but it appears there is some fastener in the middle of the cover which looks like it is going to break if I keep pulling. I actually seen metal bending from pulling on the plastic cover so hard.

Anyone know how to get the cover off so I can get to the switched power connection?

Thanks,

7. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

bottom tab should either push in or pull out and plastic cover slides off. If I get a chance I'll find a pic.

or two tabs on both sides you push in and cover should pull out.

to put it back on, just slides on tell it clicks back in place.

8. LBTRS

LBTRS New Member

Any more on this as I've pride all four sides up and it won't budge as there seems to be a fastener right in the center with a flat head that is keeping it from being removed?

Thanks so much for your help.

9. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

sorry for the late response, in the middle of moving but here you go. It seems your might be different. To take mine off, i reach behind and pull outer cover outward and pull out. It took me sometime to figure out. Sorry for the misleading information from my last post. Here is some pictures. If yours is differnt not sure then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. LBTRS

LBTRS New Member

Thanks so much for posting the picture. Mine looks just like that except it has a fastener directly in the middle and when you pull on the cover you can see this fastener is keeping it from releasing. I'll take a picture of mine tonight after I get home from work.

Thanks a million for all your help.