Switchin Gears!?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Z71_usmc_rebel, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Z71_usmc_rebel

Z71_usmc_rebel New Member

So i have found that some of these gear packages claim to have Do-It Yourself instructions...does anyone have any experience in swappin gears and if so how easy/hard would it be for someone who has never swapped gears? Im always lookin to save money but to also learn new things so i can save money and do it myself in the future! thanks
  2. finalday7

finalday7 New Member

I've never done them before because I was told they are a PITA. I was told countless times by other users to leave it to the pros. Getting everything lined up right and not messin anything up comes with experience. I think tbplus10 has installed gears if I remember correctly hopefully he will chime in.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member

If you have no experience please dont try this at home the results could be very expensive. Theres a lot of repetative installing and removing of the gears to ensure thier shimmed correctly, the measurements need to be spot on. This isnt a job that a novice can start then have someone come behind and clean up if you make mistakes or get in over your head. Improper spacing could eat the gears after a very short trip.
    There's a Gentleman currently stationed in Jacksonville, NC. thats an old gearhead and always ready to help young Marines with thier vehicle projects, his name is CWO Roger Fournier he's got over 40 years wrenching experience working on hotrods from nose to tail, he hangs out at the auto hobby shop most nights after work, tell him the "Taxi Driving Swabbie" sent ya, he'll know who it is.

Being in the Millitary your lucky the Station auto hobby shop at every base I was ever on was a great resource to learn auto mechanics, there was always a couple guys there that were gearheads and willing to lend a hand or teach others.
  4. Z71_usmc_rebel

Z71_usmc_rebel New Member

Awesome! thanks for the advice! i figured that it was a difficult process. and i will def look him up when i get back to the jacksonville area! thanks