Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by BowTieFan1, Nov 6, 2011.

1. BowTieFan1

BowTieFan1 Member

I would like to know your experience with the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. I was comparing the packages of the Silverstars and the standard Sylvania bulbs, and they both have the same wattage. If you look on the package you can see this. So, how can the Silverstars be brighter? I do not see any difference`s between the bulbs either.

As a Electrician, my logic tells me that bulbs of the same type and wattage put out the same lumens. (brightness) Only when the wattage of the bulb increases can you get a brighter bulb. The color spectrum does not change the lumens either. It just may appear brighter.

I passed on the Silverstars and bought the standard Sylvania`s.

2. bby366

bby366 Member

I installed low beams,love'm.

3. Schaub

Schaub Rockstar

Buy a set of Xentec HID's for less than the silverstars and have waaaay better performance.

4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

There are a new Ultra bulb from them I think they are called the ZXE's I have them in mine now very nice.. [​IMG]

5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

As brightness is a visual thing, if it -appears- brighter to someone ... then for them, it is. You must understand that perception of brightness and measured brightness are two distinctly different things and what's key to this difference is context. Silverstars use a coating that changes the colour temperature of the light ... which, in turn, changes the light's effect within the context of what's being viewed. Whether or not it's effective for you really depends on how you perceive things...

Here's some reading to help elucidate what I'm getting at. It's worth the time, especially when you hit the optical illusions that are merely generated by the use of different colours and shapes. When you hit this section and start to see the impacts of various aspects of vision, next try to imagine different shades of light on many, many shapes, while moving ... and extrapolate a bit. http://www.cns.nyu.edu/~david/cours.../brightness-contrast/brightness-contrast.html

Surreal

6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I have installed a couple of sets of those, they lasted about a year, just as advertised. I think they worked great, just would like to have lights that last longer than a year.

7. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Now you dont get an answer like this everyday.... pay attention folks.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

I have used the silverstars and loved them. They ARE brighter and other drivers seemed to think so also. I got the one finger salute a few times.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Does a fifty watt incandescent put out the same lumens as a halogen? Or flourescent? Or Mercury Vapor? Or LEDs?

9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Here ya go guys Just got this from my friend at Sylvania I sent him this link

Thanks. this was a good thread. If you want to respond saying we will have 5 new versions coming out this spring, H1, H3, 9005XS, 9006XS and H13 zXe, feel free. What are your fogs? I would think the 800 series fog will follow next year but that hasn’t been decided.

The life has tested out to be the same as SilverStar Ultra. As for true specs, they are whiter but actually aren’t brighter than ultra in the sense of true down road. The whiter light does give a perceived brightness greater than Ultra in the immediate distance and great side road (peripheral) vision. Also, your vehicle just looks cooler to oncoming traffic.

If you want to do some sort of a giveaway contest for a few people on the board, I could probably figure something out.

10. NCN8ive

NCN8ive Rockstar 100 Posts

I bought my truck in March of last year. I replaced the stock bulbs with the Silverstars (can't remember if they were Ultras or not), and I wasn't impressed. The increased whiteness over the stocks were barely noticeable, and one of them burned out in about 8 months. I'm back to running the stock bulbs.