1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sylvania SilverStar zXe 9005 bulb comparison/review

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by SurrealOne, May 14, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

[MENTION=34858]Enkeiavalanche[/MENTION], do you know if the 02 Avalanche has the same wiring as the 99-02 Silvys? I ask because [MENTION=52280]nakranij[/MENTION] has done the mod on his Silvy (which is in that model year range) and might be able to provide photos or answer questions since the link you provided has missing photos.

I can't be of help unless the 02 Avalanche's wiring is the same as an 03-07 (classic) Silvy's ... which seems unlikely.
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Hold on Making a new post.. But the 02 is different then the 03-06
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Maybe it's the pictures I don't know, but they all look the same. I have never run Sylvania or philips, but this really didn't impress me. Nothing against your review, but the pics speak for themselves. I will stick with my PIAA's, still running after 6 years.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

from what I understand the 2002 is different than the 2003. Here is a link for the 2002. It is all pictures. If you click the white link at the top of that page you will find the written instructions. http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/daytimemod.htm
  6. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I wanted to do this but was concerned about permanently cutting any wires I was not 100% sure about so I ended up not doing this mod to my truck.

It is a good thing too, because I went with HID's in my low and high beams, and if they are both on at the same time, I might get pulled......

The HID's provide a much better light than any of the halogen bulbs.
  7. SurrealOne

Having now run both halogens and HIDs in my truck I must disagree with the use of the word 'better' as the light's not better, it's just a different colour temperature.

Better indicates superior ... and when you drive through a fog bank with nothing but 5000K HIDs ... trust me, it's inferior to 3600-4200K halogens. At early dawn or early dusk conditions the yellower light of halogens is also superior. Driving in the country I've also found that old road signs and old road paint are less reflective with 5000K HID light than with yellower 3600-4200K halogen light. (This seems to be true only of older road signs and road paint; the new signs and paint are about the same. ZA standard must have changed or something, as the new signs seem to use a different material or have a different spec for reflectivity.)

I've not done wet conditions with HIDs so I can't compare the light reflectivity off wet asphalt surfaces, yet, but I'm betting the halogens win there. So far 5000K HIDs seem to be best on clear nights and newly worked roads (with new signage). Oh, and deer eyes and tails are more easily seen with them. That particular item is the one thing that'll probably make me keep the 5000K HIDs in my truck (assuming my test period with them entails no glare isssue) regardless of the things I mentioned, above ... as deer in the country are my biggest concern and why I'm always wishing I had more light.
  8. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I guess it comes down to "what" people consider better. I have been thinking about going from 6000k HID's to 4500k HID's. In my experience, the HID's illuminate anything reflective better than the halogens and at distances farther from the driver (more distance).

I would have to argue that the lumen output is higher than halogens. Might have to just replace the head lights with a pair of Dually D2's.
  9. SurrealOne

You need to go 2-ish hours out into the unlit country in fog or where there's no moon -- and tool around out there for about a week ... and then come back to the city. Some of the road signs are older than we are -- and built to a different specification of reflectivity than recently-planted signage one finds in more urban areas. Coatings and such that we have, today, didn't exist, then. The same is true of road paint... except it's not as old (it's resprayed) and the technology used to make it reflective isn't a coating, it's an additive.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  10. Enkeiavalanche

Just got this from them..

the response is similar to some in the past. zXe is designed to be whiter than any other halogen but not brighter. SilverStar Ultra is still designed to be the safest headlight, whitest and brightest combined. zXe is not designed to see further downroad, while SilverStar Ultra is.