1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sylvania SilverStar zXe 9005 bulb comparison/review

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by SurrealOne, May 14, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have been doing bulb research for some time now and I continue to come across stuff like this:

“The Sylvania 9005 “SilverStar” highbeam bulb is advertised as making “whiter and 20% brighter” light, and this is supposed to improve the driver’s ability to use the light….What is obvious in comparing the “SilverStar” to the standard Sylvania high-beam bulb is that the SilverStar makes less light than a standard bulb. The difference at the brightest point in the beam is 77 foot-candles from the SilverStar, and 109 footcandles from the normal high-beam bulb. This equates to ~23% less light.”
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION],
    Again, the raw quantity of light does NOT determine what you can and can't see ... or how well you can see it. Colour temperature plays a big role in that determination as it pertains to the road conditions at hand -- in addition to raw light output.
  3. UpsetProps

UpsetProps New Member

Thanks for the review Surreal. Just ordered some Philips Crystal Vision Ultra H1 to put in my new Spyder Projection headlights I'm installing in two weeks.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013