Sylvania SilverStar zXe bulbs

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by KyleZ71, Aug 19, 2013.

1. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I just remembered this thread so I was going to give an update about these lights. Through the -30 nights here in Scranton and what nots I have yet to have had a problem with these lights. They remain bright at all times and I still would not change my original opinion on them

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Good to hear.... Mine have been through alot this year and still bright.....:great:

3. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Do you get flashed a lot cuase people think you have the high beams on? or did you adjust them down a little when you installed them?

4. Chesters

Chesters Active Member ROTM Winner Gold Member 100 Posts

So Pikey, Did you make a decision on the ZXE'S? Just wondering

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yes. I did buy Zxe bulbs. I bought two sets of 9005 bulbs. One set for my highbeams one set for my low beams. The light is a very bright white. But I have to say after about four months the output has significantly decreased. I switched my low and high beam bulbs because the highbeams do not get used very often and are much brighter than the low beams that have been used for four months. I think that when I need bulbs again I will go back to the Piaa. Because they did not seem to degrade as quickly

6. Chesters

Thanks Pikey, I was considering LED'S but these seem to be getting good reviews

7. Pikey

As far as "perceived light output" they are bright. From what I understand the coating that they put on the bulb actually reduces the lumen output to less of that of a standard bulb. The coating also causes them to run really hot resulting in the lowered life expectancy. You might want to look into HIR 9011 and 9012 bulbs. They give more of a white light than the standard bulb but they are not as white as the Zxe. The lumen output is something like 2100 compared to the standard 1200. (Don't quote me on those numbers) I had a set in my truck and they were bright. It does take a little modification to get them to fit though

8. Chesters

Thanks again, So the Kelvin rating on the ZXE and the 9011,9012's is higher than the standard 9005,9004's we assume.

The lumin out put is about doubled with the 9011,9012 series? Lumens are the important key here, kelvin as you noted is perceived light output. Ie: the whiter light perception actually more towards the blue spectrum than the other.

I am headed in to pick up a new wheel hub, I will check it out and get back to.

Thanks

9. Pikey

I had to order the 9011 on the web

10. Chesters

Yes you are of course correct on the 9011,9012's I have to look on line.

I can't remember who it was that gave a list of LED replacement bulbs for interior and out. I would like to check those out, but can't find it.