Synthetic alternative to Autotrak II fluid?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Rancho5, Sep 5, 2008.

  1. Rancho5

    Rancho5 New Member

    My 2001 Suburban 4x4 requires the Gm autotrak II fluid. Is there a synthetic alternative I can purchase at Autozone or Pepboys or do I have to go to the dealer?

    Also where is the transfer case? I've changed the motor oil so I found that drain plug. I located the tranny pan and plug which is on the passenger side further back from the oil plug. Just not the transfer case.

    Does anyone have a diagram or anything?
  2. MrShorty

    MrShorty Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

    transfer case attaches to the back end of the transmission. If you've found the transmission, keep going back, and you'll run into the transfer case. Alternatively, follow the two driveshafts towards the middle of the truck, and there is the transfer case. Drain and fill plugs on most t-cases (including my NV246) are on the rear side of the case. Be sure to remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug. On mine, the fill plug takes a 5/16" square "key" which I couldn't find anyone selling. Ended up taking a 3/8" to 3/8" socket adaptor and grinding down the end to 5/16" square. In most cases it's nice to have that sort of thing taken care of before the t-case is drained.

    To my knowledge, the AT2 fluid is already synthetic. I haven't yet found any aftermarket sources for fluid meeting AT2 specs, so I think the dealer is still the only source. If you (or anyone else) become aware of an aftermarket source, then let us know.
  3. Rancho5

    Rancho5 New Member

    Thanks so much for your help. I'll start looking for fluid now.

    Since you seem to know so much I'd like to ask another question if it's alright.

    Is there any way for me to completely empty out all the transmission fluid? From what I understand most of it is stored in the torque convertor so a simple "drop the pan and empty" won't get most of the fluid. I'd like to switch to synthetic there as well.

    Is a Jiffy Lube "transfusion" the only way to go?

Share This Page

Newest Gallery Photos